Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anti-discount for cash?

Blog Entries

I just discovered another "anti"--an OTA TV amplifier--put it in the signal path and all signals get weaker. Maybe I should start a thread on that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I just discovered another "anti"--an OTA TV amplifier--put it in the signal path and all signals get weaker. Maybe I should start a thread on that?
    You're sure not the first to notice it but the first to bring it up. It would make an interesting thread.

I do wonder how you're measuring it though. Depending on where the AGC is located in a receiver, compared to where the signal meter is, the amplifier just might be doing what it's supposed to.

Blog Entries

It's even simpler than that--stations received without; stations not received with. Looking at the PCB, it looks like a simple 2-stage capacitively-coupled circuit. I don't see any bad joints--I wonder if they skimped on the transistors, however.

Blog Entries

If I had it, I'd be tempted to test it with a signal generator and oscilloscope. I've done that before on some of these and found that they had more loss than gain. I never took the time which I should have though, to figure out why or what I could do about it.

Blog Entries

Well, ideally, the best amplifier is a tuned amplifier. Broadband untuned amps are generally bad news when you get to UHF.

Blog Entries

Very true. Unfortunately today UHF is just about all there is for TV.