Image Map Image Map

Thread: Dual 1218 Turntable refurbishment

Default Dual 1218 Turntable refurbishment

I have a Dual 1218 turntable that I purchased new in or about 1970. It's been kicking around for a long time unused, unboxed, gathering dust, and probably nowhere close to working any more.

I'd like to get it refurbished, and I'm wondering if anyone here messes with vintage audio equipment, and can recommend any vintage turntable restoration companies. Southern California area would be nice but I wouldn't have any problem shipping the unit.

TIA,

Probably all it needs is a drop of oil on the motor bushings and a new idler. Look in HiFi magazines for companies that sell rebuilt idler wheels.
    There is not much that can go wrong with these. One assumes the needle is in good shape?

Follow this thread down for instructions:
    https://www.vinylengine.com/turntabl...p?f=37&t=72281
    Dwight
    Last edited by Dwight Elvey; July 24th, 2018 at 07:25 PM.

Blog Entries

I have a 1218 too but haven't even seen it in twenty years. I do know where it is but don't have the means to deal with it. I'd start out with some Rubber Renue on the idler wheel and possibly replace the cartridge. I'm guessing the feet are toast so I'd probably invest in some Vibrapods.

One assumes the needle is in good shape?
    Nope, I need to purchase a new cartridge and stylus. I guess I'm looking more for a "restoration" than any repair. I'm gonna lurk around a few audio forums looking for any mentions of good companies/people that do that kind of rebuild. Luckily there is no rush, I've been thinking of this project for many years and never have done anything about it.

Thanks for the tips!

You might join AudioKarma too. As Dwight suggested, VinylEngine will likely have service and owner's manuals online. Do find someone local to you. Turntables don't ship well.

Cartridge/Stylus is likely to be fine. The biggest problem with Dual Turntables in my experience is the grease in the changer mechanism. The idler wheels also dry out or get flat spots from being parked. Lastly the headshell connections can be flakey.

- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    Nope, I need to purchase a new cartridge and stylus. I guess I'm looking more for a "restoration" than any repair. I'm gonna lurk around a few audio forums looking for any mentions of good companies/people that do that kind of rebuild. Luckily there is no rush, I've been thinking of this project for many years and never have done anything about it.

Thanks for the tips!