Image Map Image Map

Thread: MS-DOS 4.01 computer locking up half-way through install.

Default MS-DOS 4.01 computer locking up half-way through install.

I am attempting to install MS-DOS 4.01 on my 286 (which I have successfully done before).

However this time around, when I pass the portion with swapping the install and select copy diskettes, create the primary dos partition, restart, put in the select diskette, then restart again with the select diskette the screen turns blue, the computer starts to permanently beep, and nothing on the keyboard does anything. Essentially, everything locks up at this point, and I have to turn it off.

As I said, I've installed this once before.

Does anyone know what may be happening? this does seem odd to me, I am following what the prompts tell me to do and all that.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

Is this a corrupt Master Boot Record? What have you had on the disk recently?
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Is this a corrupt Master Boot Record? What have you had on the disk recently?
    nothing, I completely zeroed out the drive previous to beginning the installation.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Could be a faulty power supply.

ibm pc-dos 6.1 installed without a hitch.

I am going to re-write all the floppies for 4.01 and hopefully that will help.

Blog Entries

Or, you can stick with 6.1. 4.0 was a terrible release and shouldn't be run in nearly any circumstance.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Normally I wouldn't. However, I found an advertisement for this computer and am making it factory spec according to the ad. It came with 4.01 as well as louts works. I got all that. Also came with 1mb of ram and a 40mb hard drive.

had a 40mb drive, but it died, now using a 245mb drive but formatting it to 40.

I had so many problems with 4.01 I gave up on it. Trixter (i think it was Trixter) recommended DR DOS 6. I absolutely love it. The Install procedure is idiotic for 4.01. I had additional hardware issues with my HDD, so after a wile I think I installed it to floppy, then just copied the disks contents to C:\DOS and manually installed it. I will re-visit 4.01 someday but not for a while.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Okay, even after re-writing the diskettes, it still locks up at the same point. Don't know why.

EDIT: I found the problem. What the prompt told me was wrong (why would it tell me to do the wrong thing?), what I had to do was create the primary partition, set it to active, and then restart the install process from the start.

When it gets the the point I was before, I told it to leave the partition as it is, and it began to format it. After that it asked for the operating diskette, copied form it and then the installation completed successfully.

Weird, but it works now.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; July 25th, 2018 at 09:27 PM.