Image Map Image Map

Thread: A Lament for my Tek 4051

Blog Entries

Default A Lament for my Tek 4051

Not really a rant but more a lament as the title suggests.

I had my 4051 down at a longstanding and trusted repair shop. It's not uncommon for us to be out of touch for weeks or months at a time... in the interest of saving money I always emphasized not making my vintage gear needing repair a priority. Anyway he hit the wall and couldm't figure put how to stop the psu from tripping and I said ok I'll pick up next time I am in the city. Well.. a couple months went by and I called and his number has been disconnected. The shop appears to be shut down. Strange.. it had been in business since 1999 and by all accounts had a great reputation. Anyway hopefully nothing bad happened to the guy. He really was good at what he did and always reasonable.

I think the odds are dim of retrieving the machine at this point. I am still trying to find any way to reach him personally. I've only lost one or two machines in the past.. a Commodore 16 I bought in 1999 and an Intellivision.. both stolen from my doorstep (in apartments, Canada Post would leave parcels at the door).

Anyway. Who knows.. maybe I'll find it. Really hope it didn't end up being recycled.

Blog Entries

I loaned a Platinum ||e to a guy who lost everything in a divorce (as far as I can tell). I have to keep telling myself that it was just a Platinum ||e. I never really liked them and sold the other one I have. But still...

I loaned my favourite book (hardcover version of that book that tells everything there is to know about the Commodore 1541) to a guy in 1991. I have to keep reminding myself that it was that long ago and really that book just isn't that important. But still...

Blog Entries

Good news, I think. I did a bit of sleuthing and found the store owner on F**ebook (I refuse to fully print the name of that evil site). He is reopening the store next month and it sounds like the Tek is still there. Whew!

Blog Entries

Any news as to why?

Blog Entries

He says he was on vacation. Fair enough.. but the message I got when I called said his phone had been disconnected entirely. We will see I guess.

Blog Entries

Too many mailing lists and swap groups ended up on facebook and I don't like using it.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems