Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hello from Berlin, Germany

Default Hello from Berlin, Germany

Hi!
    My name is Eugene, I live in Berlin (I have recently moved here from Moscow, therefore I don't speak German, only Russian and English).

I found this forum when I was figuring out what happened with Nekochan.

I am mostly interested in old (mostly non-Intel) UNIX servers and workstations. I have:
    - Sun Ultra 60 (fully working, with keyboard and mouse, but without display)
    - SGI Indy (something happened with power supply, I am going to figure out and fix it, or order another one)
    - IBM RS/6000 Model 380 (was working several years ago, but it hasn't tested for a while. Its HDDs are mostly broken).
    - Sun Ray 100 (fully working and booting from Sun Ultra or Intel Solaris)

Also, I am interested in Soviet home computers.
    I had one in my childhood, now I have Vector 06C (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector-06C ), I am thinking to collect more and know more about them.

Sometimes ago, I was using several UNIXes (FreeBSD, Solaris) on my home workstation. Now I am working on Devuan Linux.

Nice to meet you all!
    Feel free to send message to me. Especially if you're in Berlin or Zurich area and also vintage computer fan

Blog Entries

Welcome. I'm glad you're here.
    Rick Ethridge

Hi Mercurius,

I lived in Berlin -- many years ago. When I lived there it was the 1980s and the WALL was still there.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Hi Mercurius,

I lived in Berlin -- many years ago. When I lived there it was the 1980s and the WALL was still there.
    wow! at least, vintage computers are not so vintage for you

the history of the Wall is very interesting for me (maybe because I was born in USSR), and I can't still imagine how to live in the divided city.
    Are you from the East or from the West?

Neither... I'm not German. I am an American who was living in West Berlin in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen