Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franklin Ace 1200 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by DFinnigan View Post
    I had some Franklin Ace disks and I made copies of them. Here are my disk images:

Franklin Ace 1200 Welcome Package
    Franklin Ace DOS
    Franklin Ace DOS diskette version 1
    Thanks, hopefully I can write them to floppy disks somehow. I'm sure my Aptiva running Windows 98 can't handle it.

I think I'll go for a serial interface in the future, but for now, I'd just like to write a couple disks such as the DOS ones provided so I can test the floppy drives. Right now I can't use the keyboard at all, I just want to start testing and making sure the other parts of the system are functional. Also, I'm still undecided whether or not I'm ultimately going to keep this computer, since it's the only Apple product I own apart from a 2008 iMac I got for free today, so I'd rather not spend a whole lot of money on it unless absolutely necessary. Is there possibly any program I can use to write a couple disks using Windows 98 with a 360k drive?

2. Default

For you to utilize any *.DSK file and write it to an Apple II floppy disk, from what you've mentioned in earlier posts, you currently don't have the means to do so. In your situation you first need the ADTPro software on Apple II floppy disk. There's just simply no way around that. Once you have that software on a physical floppy disk, you need to get the serial card and cables that'll allow you to transfer other *.DSK files to floppy disks. Again, you need that physical floppy disk with ADTPro on it.

Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    What you need for this particular 1200:

1. Bootable floppy disk with ADTPro on it. You can buy one at: http://retrofloppy.com/products/
    With a Super Serial you don't need a bootable floppy.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by David_M View Post
    With a Super Serial you don't need a bootable floppy.
    He's better off getting a disk already made. In fact, we don't even know if his disk drives even work.

Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    He's better off getting a disk already made. In fact, we don't even know if his disk drives even work.
    He will soon know if the drives work or not when ADTPro attempts to create the disk of itself.

Blog Entries

You can enter in the bootstrap loader for ADTPro by hand in the monitor. It's not difficult (though it is a bit tedious) and a good "retro experience." It yoostsaby the only way to do this. And it makes you more self-sufficient.

Well, I spent a few hours today going through the keyboard and after getting those new pads from Texelec, it works like new. I think I'm going to be selling it though, I've got way too many projects and I need to clear out some space. I like it, but I like my DOS machines more. If anyone has a computer with a Keytronics Keyboard, I'd highly recommend the replacement pads from Texelec.