Image Map Image Map

Thread: My "New to ME" Dell XPS 8700

Default My "New to ME" Dell XPS 8700

I was looking to upgrade from my mid 2011 mac mini, which only had a 500gb hard drive, 4gb of ram, and a dual core 2.5ghz i5.

I found two candidates within my limited budget.

One was a listing from a local classifieds website

It said it had an i5 (no other info)

16gb of ram
    1tb hard drive
    nvidia gta 745 graphics card

the second candidate was one from newegg.ca which had 16gb of ram as well as an i5 3rd gen 3.20ghz quad core processor, 2tb hard drive, but only intel hd graphics.

The graphics on either of these are not that good, so that I ignored as the video card is the first upgrade I will be making.

I decided to see if I could test the local one and find out more information about it. If I didn't like it, I'd get the one from newegg, if I liked it, I'd buy it.

Well, I did get to test the local one tonight. And up 64bit quad core i5 4th gen 3.20ghz! All works and it has a fresh Windows 10 install. So I gave the guy his $375 Canadian and then I went home happy!

I just got it hooked up in the past hour, and it's awesome!

I am very pleased. It is a definite upgrade over the mac mini which is quickly getting out of date and which I can't change much about, at least without paying apple an arm and a leg.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

I think you only get a 460W PS with those so check the specs on any video card upgrade you purchase.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I think you only get a 460W PS with those so check the specs on any video card upgrade you purchase.
    I use a 600w in my machine, but I have 3 internal hard drives (1 SSD, 2 standard),a professional PCI audio card (no 3.5mm I/O all 1/4" jacks), a 2GB Radeon R7. Now what I really need to upgrade is the system RAM as I only have 8GB installed. But it's fine for now. Also, I would like to upgrade to a 6-11GB video card but I would also need to upgrade my PSU again to like 800w or something. If I was just gaming I could get by with the 600w, but all the extra hardware for my audio stuff would need more power.

Now for the OP I would recommend at least a 2GB video card to start out with as you can play pretty much any game at least on medium settings. What is more important is that the card has a high clock speed rather than the amount of video RAM it has.

this video card according to HWINFO has 4gb.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    this video card according to HWINFO has 4gb.
    Well then... is that DDR3 or GDDR5 RAM? A 2GB card with GDDR5 might actually be better. Who knows. lol

DDR3 but there's many 4gb GDRR5 cards within what I am willing to pay ($200-$300 Canadian).

EDIT: for example, this one:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16814932014

4GB GDDR5.

Also it only recommends a 400w PS, so I wouldn't need to get a new PS.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; July 27th, 2018 at 07:39 PM.