Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Windows 3.1 on XT 286?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudschatze View Post
    Or, it may run better than expected. I posted a video on the prior page of this thread demonstrating a 1MB setup. Either my use-case is just atypical, or I simply have a high tolerance for [expletive deleted].
    LOL, that's likely the case. Not sure what apps you plan to run though. Like I said, getting something to boot up and using it productively with a decent range of apps matters (to some) unless its just a proof point with little useful application. I built a 3.4GHz Pentium system that can boot up everything from DOS trough Windows 7 on the same hardware without needed to change out a single component to boot any of the many generations of Windows (which magazine articles claimed was not technically possible to achieve). I did it to prove a point that it was in fact possible (not easily), but when I boot Win 7 on it it runs, but is too sluggish to be useful in a practical sense daily - https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yJjcCJ

We all have different thresholds of what we consider "works", but I' just as crazy as many others here and also enjoy doing proof points even when it makes no practical sense just because its fun and for not other reason - just because we can!

Mike

I haven't checked this thread in a while, interesting to see it's still alive! In case anyone want to know, installed windows 3.1 on the XT/286 a little bit ago. I didn't do any thorough testing, but I found the system overall to be a bit sluggish. Interestingly, the hard disk was the limiting factor in speed, being a very slow ST-4053. I had 6MB of RAM to waste, so memory was not a problem, and was using EGA graphics. Anyone, if anyone has my previous post, I've been trying to get a 486SLC2 upgrade meant for 286 systems that I bought a while back to work in the XT/286, but have been unsuccessful thus far. Someday I might get it to work and see if win 3.1 is usable. However, I've been preoccupied with more interesting things recently. I was lucky enough to find a listing for an IBM XT on eBay for local pickup near where I live with some amazing hardware for a great deal. The machine had an Intel Inboard 386/PC and the 4MB daughter board! It even came with the 256k-640k motherboard, proper IBM half-height floppy drive mounting brackets, a special 200W PSU designed with extra fans for airflow, a 2MB Intel Above Board/PC, and an original 10MB HDD! All of this for only $300! I'm hoping to use the parts from it in a 5150 build I'm planning; I got a 5150+5151 a while back that was never used and in pristine condition. I've even got a Cyrix Cx486Drx2 to go with the inboard, so this build should be a pretty fast machine. I'll probably make a post when it's finished.

I tried installing Windows 3.1 on one of my IBM 5170s the other day, and it kept erroring out after loading into windows graphical installer section, it would start copying files and give some fatal error I should have written down but it was 2:30am at the time.

I tried both times it gave the same error, possibly some sort of protected mode, or 286 enhanced mode error? not sure.

this particular machine is a 5170 6MHz with 4mb of memory, (intel above board with daughter board) 40mb MFM drive.

I just gave up and installed windows 3.0 and that works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    I haven't checked this thread in a while, interesting to see it's still alive! In case anyone want to know, installed windows 3.1 on the XT/286 a little bit ago. I didn't do any thorough testing, but I found the system overall to be a bit sluggish. Interestingly, the hard disk was the limiting factor in speed, being a very slow ST-4053. I had 6MB of RAM to waste, so memory was not a problem, and was using EGA graphics. Anyone, if anyone has my previous post, I've been trying to get a 486SLC2 upgrade meant for 286 systems that I bought a while back to work in the XT/286, but have been unsuccessful thus far. Someday I might get it to work and see if win 3.1 is usable. However, I've been preoccupied with more interesting things recently. I was lucky enough to find a listing for an IBM XT on eBay for local pickup near where I live with some amazing hardware for a great deal. The machine had an Intel Inboard 386/PC and the 4MB daughter board! It even came with the 256k-640k motherboard, proper IBM half-height floppy drive mounting brackets, a special 200W PSU designed with extra fans for airflow, a 2MB Intel Above Board/PC, and an original 10MB HDD! All of this for only $300! I'm hoping to use the parts from it in a 5150 build I'm planning; I got a 5150+5151 a while back that was never used and in pristine condition. I've even got a Cyrix Cx486Drx2 to go with the inboard, so this build should be a pretty fast machine. I'll probably make a post when it's finished.
    Add and XT-IDE adapter in Slot 8 of your 5160 (the XT-IDE has to have the additional circuit on the back of the card to use it in sot eight) to save other slots. By doing so you'll have the option of drive the OS off a CF card. With that, along with the Cx486Drx2, the build will perform extremely well like my FrankenXT does. You'll need to make sure you add the driver for the Cx486Drx2 (pretty easily available) and configure it accordingly to get maximum performance out of it. I've only tried the 20/40 MHz Cx486Drx2; I don't know if the 25/50 would work (I would think it should), but either way it will max out at 33MHz unless you change the oscillator on the I/386 board, though I'll readily admit that I've been too chicken to risk frying my InBoard unless I can pick up a cheap backup I/386 board someday, but they are rarely cheap. You got an incredible deal. See my earlier post- If you do get around to installing Win 3.1 on the 5160 and want to run it in enhanced mode you'll need to copy some of the drivers off of the special MS/Intel edition of Win 3.0 to get around the keyboard lockup issue. That special edition can be downloaded from WinWorld here: https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-3/30 . All of the details about which Win 3.0 drivers to copy over and which lines to change in config.sys are documented in this old thread: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ht=InBoard+486

Mike
    Last edited by nc_mike; January 29th, 2020 at 05:19 PM.

I have a XT-CF adapter already, and plan to use it in my 5150 build. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have a slot bracket. I need to order a blank one and cut out a hole for the cf card. Anyway, I know that the 5160 has a better BIOS and more slots, but for this build I want to use my 5150, mainly because it's in much better condition (almost pristine), and because it was The Original PC. I'm a bit squeezed for slots, but here's what I'm planning so far. Slot 1 - floppy controller (stock) I know I could theoretically buy one of the Sergey Malinov's FDD boards to use HD drives, but I honestly like the appearance of the original Tandon drives much more and the XT-CF makes 3.5" disks unnecessary. Slot 2 - Intel Inboard 386/PC. Has 32/16 Cx486Drx2, 4MB piggyback. Slot 3 - Microsoft InPort card, for use with my original Microsoft "grey-eyed" mouse. Slot 4 - XT-CF lite card, the one by Sergey Malinov. Works great. Slot 5 - ATI Ega Wonder 800+. This card is great, it allows me to display EGA graphics on my matching, equally pristine 5151, giving that great green-phosphor appearance and high res graphics! I've also thought of adding an ethernet card, but realized that it would be unnecessary with the XT-CF installed. I've also thought about adding a sound card, but I don't really have a good set of speakers and don't own a sound card right now. Along with the computer, I have an equally pristine IBM Model F XT keyboard. Anyway, I'm wondering, what are your guys' thoughts?

You can add a piggyback ISA slot to the stock FDC if you want another card. It would have to be something with no back plate and thin

Blog Entries

A nic would be good for IRC and what not.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."