Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 3.1 on XT 286?

No, not exactly. Office 4.3 for Windows 3.1 was still 16-bit. There was an alternate version of "Office 4.2 For Windows NT" that had 32-bit and DEC Alpha Microsoft Word and Excel. It was visually identical to the Windows 3.1 version, and Powerpoint remained 16-bit.

I can't remember for sure if the last 4.3 "requires" a 386, but if it does, it is just sticking it's nose up at 286's. It is still 16-bit. Also, the only difference between 4.2 and 4.3 is that 4.3 includes Microsoft Access 2.0.

The first 32-bit version available to regular blow joe consumers was Office 95. And there was no longer a 16-bit version.

I didn't need Office 4.3 specifically, It's just what I saw on eBay. Also, when I say Microsoft Arcade, I mean the 1993 release for Windows 3.1. I tried to look up if it needs a specific processor, but couldn't find anything. I heard from another source that Microsoft Arcade is actually a 3.0 application, but requires multimedia dll's from Windows 3.1, and that it might run on Windows 3.0 with Multimedia Extensions. Again, this is probably pointless anyway because I highly doubt it will run well with a 286.

Blog Entries

Windows 3.x on an 80286 system is one of those instances where, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Easiest way to do it with a PC/XT is to find an Intel Inboard/386-PC adapter and a 2MB or (ideally) 4MB expansion memory expansion card for the Intel InBoard. That will run WIn 3.1 fine in standard mode . To run Win3.1 in enhanced you'd have to replace a subset of Windows 3.1 drivers with drivers from Windows 3.0 to make it work properly around the Gate A20 keyboard switching problem. There is also a bus speed limit (33MHz maximum on the InBoard) if you replace the InBoard's 368 CPU with a 133-pin plug-compatible 486 CPU - unless you change out the oscillator as well. I'm running a 5160 with an InBoard 386 with a 4MB daughter card (5MB total extended RAM available), and I swapped out the 386 for a 386>486 Cyrix and did the Win driver transplant - Windows 3.1 runs snappy in enhanced mode and I run the fully gamut of Windows 3.1 software (dozens of them) with no issues whatsoever. HEre's the build - it has been around a few years now and other have since done similar builds with InBoards and similar even faster than mine. I'm also using an XT-IDE to use a CF card as my HD - so the InBoard+CF really make it work extremely well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/krYrxr

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nc_mike View Post
    Easiest way to do it with a PC/XT
    That is not easy. (And the OP had a 286, not an XT. And once you put an Inboard into an XT it's no longer an XT anyway...)
    Last edited by Trixter; July 30th, 2018 at 02:34 PM.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

There is only one Intel Inboard on eBay. It is complete in box and over $800. There are no memory expansions for the Inboard available on eBay right now. I would love to have an Inboard one day, but $800 is obscene. Even better if I found an Intel Inboard 386/AT, but those are extremely hard to find.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Windows 3.x on an 80286 system is one of those instances where, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.
    Completely agree.

It was often done out of desperation here (due to costs) with machines like Model 30-286's etc running Windows 3.1 in the early 90s - but it wasn't a great user experience.

Although Windows 3.0 isn't too bad on a quick 286.

Would Windows 3.0 work at a reasonable speed on a 6MHz 286 in a XT/286? Again, I will say that I don't need Windows on my XT/286 for any practical reason, rather I just wanted to install it for the sake of playing around with an early version. Windows 3.x in my opinion looks much better than previous versions, and that is why I asked about it first.

I run windows 3.1 on a 286 no problems. My machine does have 8MB of ram and is running at 14 MHZ though. With my WD 1MB hi-color ISA graphic card I'm actually able to run Photostyler 1.0 in 15-bit color at 800x600 and it's actually pretty usable! It is almost unbelievable that you can edit hi-color images on a 286, but it works! I say go for it with Windows 3.1, no reason not too. It should run fine for basic stuff like editing text files etc. I do have a browser on mine, but it's useless for anything except google with no images.

I also have Windows 2.1 on a 640K 8088 that I use for editing text files mainly. Just remember you need to use setver for windows 2 to run on newer versions of dos.
    Last edited by norm8332; July 30th, 2018 at 09:10 PM.

Back at 93/94 I used a 286 @ 12mhz with 2MB (640k + 1460MB extended 0 WS) for light office working with Windows 3.1, WordPerfect for Windows 5.1 and Excel 3.0. I recall it performed OK. The standard computer back them was an Am386@40 with 4MB of RAM. The main problem is that it wasn't practical to run DOS programs under Windows with a 286 (no V86 mode).