Image Map Image Map

Thread: Video Card Recommendations?

Default Video Card Recommendations?

I got a "new" computer a couple days ago. quad core i5 3.20ghz 64bit.

it's only weak spot is the current GPU being just a Nvidia GTX 745.

I want to upgrade it. I am looking at things between $200 to $300 Canadian. I see many 4gb GDDR5 cards within that range.

I went inside the box today, and was able to confirm that the power supply is only 460W.

I also saw that the PS only has what I think are 6pin connectors.

Recommendations that will fit within my budget and with the current PS are welcome. Oh, and lastly, HDMI output is a must, also if audio can also be put through that same HDMI out, that'd be a plus.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    Oh, and lastly, HDMI output is a must, also if audio can also be put through that same HDMI out, that'd be a plus.
    By definition, HDMI includes audio.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

yeah, I am aware that both audio and video can go through HDMI. Though video card wise I am not sure if all video cards would also put audio through, being they are meant for video.

The gtx 745 does have audio pass through.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

Very Very old Nvidia graphics cards needed a cable from the built in audio (digital audio out) to a plug on the Graphics card for audio in HDMI to work (Geforce 8800/9800 series for example). Anything ATI from the HD series days had audio when using a DVI to HDMI adapter (and some needed special adapters as well).

Anyway I have a 4gb RX580 and I like it. Gefroce cards seem to be more expensive for same gaming ability. I think that card needs 500W supply minimum system spec.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDisk View Post
    yeah, I am aware that both audio and video can go through HDMI. Though video card wise I am not sure if all video cards would also put audio through, being they are meant for video.

The gtx 745 does have audio pass through.
    This would be a very good upgrade for your system as it was top tier just a few years back before the 1080's took over:

https://www.amazon.com/Nvidia-GeForc...rds=nvidia+980.

Shop for a slightly better price and possibly a 980 TI. What ever way you go, ensure that your P/S is up to the task.

Blog Entries

The GTX 745 is a budget (OEM) card not meant for gaming. Memory bandwidth for DDR3 is below 30GB/sec.

raw performance
    Shading units 384
    Texture mapping units 24
    Render output processors 16
    Pixel rate 16.53 GPixel/s
    Texture rate 24.79 GTexel/s
    Floating-point performance 793.3 GFLOPS
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

This doesn't require any extra power connections, only needs a 300W PS, and I've seen positive reviews of it.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...64444&CatId=28