Image Map Image Map

Thread: DOS 6.22 I/O Issue

Blog Entries

Default DOS 6.22 I/O Issue

Trying to install an SMC 8013 EWC LAN Card into my 486 machine. When starting the EZSTART program I am getting an error that there is no available I/O Space when I try to run the setup of the card.

I am not super DOS savvy when it comes to I/O, so hoping someone could help me.

The card only had two jumpers for IRQ choices, 3 and 10. When set to 10, the software doesnt see the card, when set to 3 I get the above error....
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Blog Entries

IRQ 3 is normally reserved for COM2: interrupts. IRQ 10 should be a safe choice, as it has no standardized assignment. Back in the day, my choice for 8 bit ISA cards was IRQ 2/9.

Isn't this a card with an 8-pin NVRAM chip to hold setup information? If so, you might try booting from floppy using an earlier DOS (say, 3.2 or 3.3) and running the setup program.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    The card only had two jumpers for IRQ choices, 3 and 10. When set to 10, the software doesnt see the card, when set to 3 I get the above error....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    IRQ 3 is normally reserved for COM2: interrupts.
    Disable COM2 and try it again.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    IRQ 3 is normally reserved for COM2: interrupts. IRQ 10 should be a safe choice, as it has no standardized assignment. Back in the day, my choice for 8 bit ISA cards was IRQ 2/9.

Isn't this a card with an 8-pin NVRAM chip to hold setup information? If so, you might try booting from floppy using an earlier DOS (say, 3.2 or 3.3) and running the setup program.
    When set to IRQ 10, the system doesnt see the card, setup program states no card found / installed...not sure why it doesnt see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Disable COM2 and try it again.
    I will give this a shot...
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Try booting with EMM386 (or other memory manager) rem'ed out in config.sys. The SMC 8013 has a shared memory block, kind of like a video frame buffer, that's mapped into the upper memory blocks. EMM386 can claim that space instead for use in loading drivers into UMBs. If that works, then you can play with EMM386's settings in the config.sys and try to exclude the SMC's memory area.