Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imsai FIF FDC project

Default Imagedisk ISA 16 bit AHA-1542cf for boot

Quote Originally Posted by jhalbrecht View Post
    I recently acquired another set of Imsai Calcomp drives and a two board set of an FIF FDC consisting of the FIB and IFM cards as well as all necessary cabling ...
    I've been messing around for a couple days now just trying to swap in an Adaptec AHA-1542cf into one of two machines I have with ISA 16 bit slots. On a 486 I disabled the FDC with a jumper on the controller. Still the floppy on the AHA-1542 didn't seem to be recognized. I could ^a for the onboard configuration of the AHA-1542.... I also tried another computer with the ISA bus with a BIOS disable of the onboard FDC controller. Still the AHA-1542 FDC didn't work.

Last night I bought a Pentium with one ISA 16 slot from a nearby craigslist sale. and I found a couple more AHA-1542cf's. None of the three Adaptec cards have an Intel FDC so hopefully I'll be good to go for Imagedisk, but I can't seem to get any of these three machines to read floppy disks with the Adaptec after disabling their original FDCs.

I seem to remember using this card for SCSI back in the day. I don't remember any trouble with them.

I have switch 5 set off / open.

Any suggestions? before I post in the PC genre forum?
    ---
    KF7CRU @jhalbrecht @TheRetroWagon Looking for Solid State Music SB1 please DM me.
    http://www.theretrowagon.com/vcf-west-2017/

I have switch 5 set off / open.
    Doh! Completely misread that dip switch! I just booted off of floppy on the AHA-1542! And can read the IDE drive under FreeDOS booted from the 1.44 floppy.

I'll tackle ImageDisk on the 8" drive in the morning with my FDADAP floppy disk adapter. Gee I've only been kicking it around for three years or so

'night - Jeff
    ---
    KF7CRU @jhalbrecht @TheRetroWagon Looking for Solid State Music SB1 please DM me.

Run TestFDC on the Adaptec card first, not all of them use a FDC chip that will do single-density or 128 byte sectors.

Blog Entries

An FDC chip that can read or write FM will also be 128-byte sector capable. I know of no exceptions.

However, very few PC FDC chips can handle 128-byte MFM sectors. Probably just as well, as there were very few systems that used them. Jade and one of the early Superbrain systems come to mind. When IBM went from FM-128 3740 to MFM-256 System/3 format, they did not include MFM 128 byte in their specs, so naturally most vendors didn't support it.

Default ImageDisk progress; Silly BIOS single floppy

Well this is kinda silly... This BIOS is only supporting one Diskette.... Not like it's going to have an entry for 8" floppy though...

Before attempting to find and write an 8" boot disk for my Imsai FIF project I'll try a proof of concept first if I can find a California Computer Systems (CCS) boot image. I have a working CCS system that I know boots as I have a bootable media....

StupidBios.jpg
    ---

Default Imagedisk Proof of Concept Success!

Before attempting to find and write an 8" boot disk for my Imsai FIF project I'll try a proof of concept first if I can find a California Computer Systems (CCS) boot image. I have a working CCS system that I know boots as I have a bootable media....
    I didn't find a CCS .IMD image but I did find a CompuPro Z80 .IMD boot disk. I successfully wrote it and booted. Imagedisk system is an eight inch Shugart 801 in Problem Solver Systems single drive cabinet on Pentium III. Imagedisk didn't work for me under win98, but I booted to msdos where it worked fine.

Capture.jpgImagediskSetup.jpg

I found the CompuPro boot .IMD image at Daves Old Computers - Application Software Disks where I didn't find any Imsai disks. Are there any other treasure troves of .IMD files where I might find an IMDOS or preferably CP/M boot disk for an Imsai with a FIF FDC?

Making progress. - Jeff
    ---

Default Imsai 8080 MPU-A ROM Monitor success

I'm hoping that this thread will eventually lead to a boot from floppy from the CalComp eight inch disk. Meanwhile Some relevant information has come up in a couple other threads. There are a few folks that I wanted input from that don't have accounts here hence some discussion at other forums.

I've placed MEMON80 in eprom and installed it at F800 in a Tanner 64k Static RAM board.

I use MEMON80 to load the mpu-a-monitor.hex found in z80pack... I installed my MIO as the monitor is looking at the keyboard parallel port status to determine which device will be input. Without the MIO you'll get erroneous data from a non existent port... I guess my MIO works too. Although I don't have a parallel keyboard hooked up, yet, no keyboard so keyboard port not ready. Hit space on the SIO serial terminal and the Imsai monitor came up.

Code:
    IMSAI IEEE MONITOR    VERS 1.0 
    ?D F800 F810 

F800  F3 AF 57 C3 1F F8 C3 CE FD C3 C3 FD C3 B6 FD C3  ..W............. 
    F810  D5  . 
    ?
    Back to learning how to creat some boot media....

WTB Imsai IKB-1 keyboard.

I have a bunch of keyboards but they aren't Imsai! ;-) and look to be large projects on their own.
    ---