Image Map Image Map

Thread: Retro Computer Festival 2018 - 15th & 16th September - Cambridge, UK

Default Retro Computer Festival 2018 - 15th & 16th September - Cambridge, UK

Hi Folks!

Anybody thinking about going to this retro meetup at the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge next month?

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/d...6th-September/

I'm exhibiting again this year and thinking of taking along my Altair 8800 & Teletype.

Cheers,
    Dave

Blog Entries

They haven't publicised it well, or asked widley for things to exhibit...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

True. Last year was the first time they done this particular event. There was a pretty good turn out with some interesting kit being shown off. Hopefully it will be just as good this year and something they continue to do.
    Sadly, there seems to be very few events like this in the UK.

Cheers,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

Funnily enough, I'm visiting that museum on 15th Aug. - not sure if I can make the retro event, but if I do, I have an Olivetti M20 and a rather lashed up, but working Newbear 77-68, which I have recently been doing some s/w dev. on - Do you still have your, rather lovely looking, 77-68 ?

Chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moonferret View Post
    True. Last year was the first time they done this particular event. There was a pretty good turn out with some interesting kit being shown off. Hopefully it will be just as good this year and something they continue to do.
    Sadly, there seems to be very few events like this in the UK.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Well there is DEC Legacy which happens about every 18 months

https://wickensonline.co.uk/declegacy/

but its really a matter of space and willing organisers. TNMOC really does not have the space, I don't think Bletchly are interested, The museum in Leicester that did one has now closed and MSI Manchester want just games and things to attract kids. Once you go away from these places the cost of room hire just kills things. Then there is power and PAT testing old computers....

... whilst I would like to come its about a 3.5hour journey so not sure its worth it....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Funnily enough, I'm visiting that museum on 15th Aug. - not sure if I can make the retro event, but if I do, I have an Olivetti M20 and a rather lashed up, but working Newbear 77-68, which I have recently been doing some s/w dev. on - Do you still have your, rather lovely looking, 77-68 ?
    It's a fantastic place with a great bunch of guy's running it. If you do decide to attend, let me know and I'll bring along my 77/68. Admittedly, I've not done a great deal with it yet. Hmm, might dig it out this weekend and see if I can get it running

A couple of people have mentioned DEC Legacy. I'm not really a DEC person but I might pop along this year.

Cheers,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

Just discovered you as another 77-68 owner - I just exhibited mine at VCF West. Probably the only one in the US. So far I could could them all on one hand, so yours makes 6 I know of.

Simon