Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer museum in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Computer museum in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've not seen any post on this here.
    ACM is loosing their warehouse.

EEVBlog visits the warehouse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK4M8dv4NNU

It all has to go. The machines are one thing but all that documentation, it is almost a crime to loose it.
    Dwight

That's really too bad. Is there any activity going on to attempt to save it?

smp

Blog Entries

This isn't the museum itself though, right? This is just the warehouse where they keep the overflow?

Unfortunate. However looking at EEVblog's video it looks like a lot of this stuff isn't really stuff worth retaining. Perhaps it'll be good to purge some of it.

Blog Entries

Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Blog Entries

Guys, you may get more play if you spell out that this is "Australia". To me, ACM means "Association for Computing Machinery", the granddaddy of professional computing-related organizations. My reaction was "Golly, I didn't even know that the ACM maintained a museum collection of hardware."

https://www.acm.org/

There are several machines worth saving. Someone mentioned some PDP6 stuff. I saw a complete EAI analog computer. There is tons old documentation, that few collectors would take, that are almost as valuable as any of the machines.
    There are a lot of items that should have been sold on ebay years ago that are just stuff. Still, the museum doesn't have room to display everything, that doesn't in anyway mean that everything there is a duplicate. Many items are getting quite rare.
    Again, although, most don't think much of documentation, it is likely the highest value for the future. The loss of information is often non-recoverable! We are already see the effects of this. It will get worse.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Dwight, I have seen the ACMS(?)'s PDP-6 in Sydney, It was not at this location (unless there is another one) and was in safe keeping.
    I rang and emailed about driving down the 800-odd miles to take a ute-load (pickup truck)'s worth but still waiting to hear back. Possibly because I presume that this stuff will all be returned to the museum's future new home(?) and thus it should really stay close to the Sydney region. I sure would have saved those 3278 terminals. As for the IBM 1401 and the EAI, arrrggghhhhh I hope they get them moved to safety!

I've sent an email as well, waiting to hear back. But given I work in Sydney it's going to be relatively easy to get there. I intend to go with a van on Monday and fill it up (even if I don't hear back I'll probably go anyway). Given Dwight's comments I'll keep an eye out for documentation.

PJH

Blog Entries

Saw this article on it. I think we can guess the New Zealand collector. Personally I think it would be a shame if the museum's holdings went overseas due to their current misfortune, but better than getting scrapped I guess. We've already lost the 360/40, never to return.
    https://www.itnews.com.au/news/austr...ldozers-499452

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1944GPW View Post
    Saw this article on it. I think we can guess the New Zealand collector. Personally I think it would be a shame if the museum's holdings went overseas due to their current misfortune, but better than getting scrapped I guess. We've already lost the 360/40, never to return.
    https://www.itnews.com.au/news/austr...ldozers-499452
    What happened to the 360/40?