Image Map Image Map

Thread: A friendly Irish hello!

Default A friendly Irish hello!

Hi there everyone,

Hope you are all well. I discovered this forum in my quest to start learning about how BIOS's are programmed. I'm trying to get an understanding of how the more simpler (older) systems actually worked at a core level.

A bit about me: I'm mid-twenties, work in Cyber Security, can program in several languages, experience with all sorts of IT and System admin roles too.
    I learn by doing - never been much good at learning from books. If you can suggest any small projects I could undertake to help with my above question.

If I can ever help you with anything, let me know.

PS - Something for the site admins in case you didn't know

This forum is throwing certificate errors, because your SSL cert is registered under a different domain:
    ================================================== ===========================
    depth=1 C = US, ST = TX, L = Houston, O = "cPanel, Inc.", CN = "cPanel, Inc. Certification Authority"
    verify return:1
    depth=0 CN = vintage-computer.com
    verify return:1
    ================================================== ===========================

Might be worth adding *.vcfed.org to your certificate alternative CN's next time you do cert renewal

O Lord there definitely is no such thing. LOL relax matey my last name is Irish. Not as common as O'Hara or Donovan. But right up there.

I think you're going to want to learn 16 bit assembler. Then take it from there. And a non existent warm American farewell for now.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. One of the great advantages of tinkering with older computers is that all of the hardware and software information is not only readily available, but sometimes the companies themselves provided low-level schematics, and even a full BIOS listing (see the IBM PC 5150 technical reference for one example). This makes it pretty easy to get started -- good luck!
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Sometimes that's true, Jim--at least in personal computers after 1982 or so. But some obscure earlier stuff can be very difficult to come by, particularly when it comes to peripherals.

I recommend starting with 36 or 60 bit, or better yet, decimal, assembly language. Thinking about it, 12 bit PDP-8 wouldn't be a bad place to start learning. Get a copy of DEC's "Introduction to Programming":