Image Map Image Map

Thread: Replace original bios

Default Replace original bios

I have a Bondwell b310 laptop that has a bad hard drive. It has a very limited set of configurations it supports and am trying to get a solution that would let me do a CF card instead.

So can I replace the bios with one that will be more versatile? I was thinking the XTIDE BIOS but donít know if that will work. This laptop has the Award BIOS as HI and LO chips.

XT-IDE Universal BIOS is not a general purpose BIOS. It's an extension ROM intented to control your harddisk(s) only. You cannot replace your BIOS with it. What you need to do, if you can, is add an XT-IDE adapter card with the required ROM or see if your laptop has a socket for an additional ROM chip and burn it with XT-IDE Universal BIOS. Probably you will need to replace your BIOS with this one:

http://www.phatcode.net/downloads.php?id=101

since those additional BIOS sockets where intended to put BASIC ROMs that are mapped to Fxxx addresses and, usually, those addresses aren't scanned by BIOSes to find ROM extensions.

There is a thread on here, XT-IDE via floppy boot instead of EPROM? I know nothing about the Bondwell b310 laptop or even if it will work with it, Might be worth a try.

The original code is [ here ]

Quote Originally Posted by dieymir View Post
    XT-IDE Universal BIOS is not a general purpose BIOS. It's an extension ROM intented to control your harddisk(s) only. You cannot replace your BIOS with it. What you need to do, if you can, is add an XT-IDE adapter card with the required ROM or see if your laptop has a socket for an additional ROM chip and burn it with XT-IDE Universal BIOS. Probably you will need to replace your BIOS with this one:

http://www.phatcode.net/downloads.php?id=101

since those additional BIOS sockets where intended to put BASIC ROMs that are mapped to Fxxx addresses and, usually, those addresses aren't scanned by BIOSes to find ROM extensions.
    Ok. Thanks. That might work. I do not have any expansion options that I know of. No card slots. It has two BUOS chips which occupy both sockets. That TurboXT bios might be the ticket.

I should add, though I havenít independently confirmed, that one source says this machine is technically an AT class instead of an XT. Would that make a difference?