Image Map Image Map

Thread: SF314 floppy drive issue

Default SF314 floppy drive issue

I have been working with the drive from a SF314 external ST floppy drive. It's an Epson SM140A, double sided DD drive. The issue is it begins to stumble on reading a disk about half way through. I thought it was alignment, but it fails to format a disk in the same fashion. At about halfway in towards the hub, it begins to re-seek. This just gets worse the farther in it gets. It won't finish formatting any disk. It reads disks with the same limitation. At about hhalfway, it begins to re-seek, ending in an error message. I replace the electrolytics on the logic board, and substituted a know good power supply, but that didn't help.

I'm hoping someone has overcome a similar situation and can shed some light on what's going on with the drive.

Thanks

Have you cleaned the mechanics and reoiled it carefully?

Indeed I have cleaned and lubed the relevant parts. I discovered last night that if I format a disk as single sided, it will complete without problems. It would seem that there is something up with the top head.

yes i have same issue

Are you sure that it is a SF-314, or is it a SF-354? The 2nd is single sided only.

Which drive mechanics is there? It could be some drives from Chinon or Epson.

I think it was an Epson, but it's definitely a 314. I have a 354 as well.

Exact model name of the Epson drive?

It has Epson embossed in the frame casting. There is a number printed on the back that looks like an Epson model number,SMD130A000 -02, but I'm unsure if it is. Google searches on that number are not definitive.