Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF314 floppy drive issue

Default SF314 floppy drive issue

I have been working with the drive from a SF314 external ST floppy drive. It's an Epson SM140A, double sided DD drive. The issue is it begins to stumble on reading a disk about half way through. I thought it was alignment, but it fails to format a disk in the same fashion. At about halfway in towards the hub, it begins to re-seek. This just gets worse the farther in it gets. It won't finish formatting any disk. It reads disks with the same limitation. At about hhalfway, it begins to re-seek, ending in an error message. I replace the electrolytics on the logic board, and substituted a know good power supply, but that didn't help.

I'm hoping someone has overcome a similar situation and can shed some light on what's going on with the drive.

Thanks

Have you cleaned the mechanics and reoiled it carefully?

Indeed I have cleaned and lubed the relevant parts. I discovered last night that if I format a disk as single sided, it will complete without problems. It would seem that there is something up with the top head.

yes i have same issue

Are you sure that it is a SF-314, or is it a SF-354? The 2nd is single sided only.

Which drive mechanics is there? It could be some drives from Chinon or Epson.

I think it was an Epson, but it's definitely a 314. I have a 354 as well.

Exact model name of the Epson drive?

It has Epson embossed in the frame casting. There is a number printed on the back that looks like an Epson model number,SMD130A000 -02, but I'm unsure if it is. Google searches on that number are not definitive.

So please have a closer look, maybe take out the drive from chassis to read.

I can't get any closer. It's been pulled out onto the workbench, and examined every which way. Looking at it right now, and I realize I have made an error. The SMD130A000 -02 number I cited before is actually the number on the Epson drive from my SF-354. The single sided drive. The double sided Epson drive looks nearly identical to the singe sided model. The number printed the the double sided drive is SMD140A000-#1. Searches with that model number mostly find my posts here on the forum.

As you can see, there are some numbers printed on the bottom, but they don't seem to be model identification.

epson1.jpgepson2.jpgepson3.jpgepson4.jpgepson5.jpg