Image Map Image Map

Thread: Commodore 8296 vs 8296d.

Default Commodore 8296 vs 8296d.

Dear All,

ok. I know the "outside" differencies... the issue is that I have 1 complete and working 8296, 1 working 8296 complete apart the kayeboard (missing), and one spare monitor.
    I can have a 8296D complete... apart the motherboard that is faulty (the monitor, the PSU and the FDD are working).
    I am not a technician so I can make only mechanical repairs and easy electrical ones...
    My question(s) is(are):
    I see from photos that a 8296 mobo "seems" the same as a 8296D one apart the FDDs connector missing (and I think I could solder a connector);
    is something else missing?
    is it possible an upgrade? Is so... drumroll... how?

Thank you

I have done it. You can install an 8296 motherboard into an 8296D machine but you will need to modify the power section. Since the 8296D has a switching supply you need to remove the regulators and some capacitors, and even move the power connector. The 8296D has a different monitor so it needs a slightly different editor rom. And yes, you need to solder in the internal IEEE header.
    WANTED: CBM-II hardware or software, PET software

Quote Originally Posted by sjgray View Post
    I have done it. You can install an 8296 motherboard into an 8296D machine but you will need to modify the power section. Since the 8296D has a switching supply you need to remove the regulators and some capacitors, and even move the power connector. The 8296D has a different monitor so it needs a slightly different editor rom. And yes, you need to solder in the internal IEEE header.
    AAAAALT!!! Slow down! I am not a technician!!!
    1. I understand that I have to change something to adapt the PSU to the mobo of the 8296... I have not understood how but anyway let's go on;
    2. what do you mean I need to move the power connector? The cable is too short so that reach the power connector of the 8296 (not D) mobo? An extension cord?
    3. editor ROM: this is the thing that I fear more!
    4. I fear that after soldering the internal IEEE header I also need to... use a specific "editor ROM", right?

The thing is going to be complicated...
    And if I use my second 8296 and I simply "add" the two FDD (I hope I have "only" to change the case)? In this case I would have to simply solder the IEEE header right? Hoping not to have to use a specific "editor ROM"...

Thank you

I typed my response as slow as I could

Ok, you'll need to get the 8296/8296D schematics from zimmers. Look at the page with the power schematics. You need to follow Notes 2 and 3. Note 3 is telling you about the power connector. This is the connector on the motherboard, not the cable from the power supply. The connector can be installed in different positions.
    The Editor ROM has slightly different timings for the 8296D monitor. You may be able to get by with the existing editor rom, but there is a chance that the screen may be shifted (not centered).

The IEEE header has nothing to do with the editor rom. The computer doesn't care if you plug a drive into the header on the motherboard or on the back IEEE connector.

The 8296D internal drives are modified 8250LP drives. The modification involves relocating the analog pcb from between the two drive mechs to a spot at the back of the digital motherboard. This is done via some extension cables and a modified metal mounting bracket.

Steve
    WANTED: CBM-II hardware or software, PET software