Image Map Image Map

Thread: Wordpress comment troll silliness

Blog Entries

Default Wordpress comment troll silliness

As I mentioned in another post, I have a Wordpress blog that allows comments and was absolutely bombed by spammers. 25,000 spam comments. Comments on my blog have to be approved by me before appearing.. but when you're getting hundreds a month it becomes impossible to manage. Especially when some are generic like 'I really like your site' and it's hard to tell if they're genuine or yet another spammer hoping to get their website promoted. I tried recaptcha, that worked for a couple months but now I think actual humans are posting stuff. I'm not even going to try anymore to fight it - it's impossible unless i shut the comments off completely, which I don't want to do. I'll just let the unapproved comments build until something breaks. But here's an example of some that get a chuckle out of me for their sheer bizarreness:

"On the way back home in the airport after obtaining the wife,
    I saw this gorgeous girl trying to find a ride. There are several non-government organizations that actually work for
    the betterment of the needy and help the people just like the ones who’re blind or even the physically and mentally challenged.
    So whether you’re loud but proud or silent but deadly, rest assured
    that as time (and gas) passes, more terms will be coined for your stinker in you."

Do they like, compose these in their native language and then run them through google translate and it comes up all awkward like this? Or do they just string together random english sentences to make their post and get their website/etc promoted? Would love to see how this was worded in its original Chinese (this comment purports to come from there) before this guy posted, if the former method is how they wrote it.

Anyone else get some weird/funny ones like this?
    Last edited by falter; August 4th, 2018 at 09:05 AM.

Blog Entries

In the days of government solitude, not sure what to make for some reason. I'm glad it went out for lunch at the moment but will never get to spend some time with my family. If you want it for some reason you can't make long time and effort in helping out at Bonnie and Clyde Doerr. A good night sleep or something else that you could have slowed down a bit but frankly it would not work for you to meet up with the money. The strangest thing is just an amplified accordion instead of the usual spot on the phone with them.

I suspect most of these things are computer generated.

Blog Entries

Possibly. But I do agree the strangest thing is an amplified accordion instead of the usual spot on the phone! Bahaha

Do you use the Akismet Anti-Spam Wordpress plug-in?

Years ago, for a short time, I participated in a chat room scenario. Around 2002. I've never laughed so hard in my life. Especially when this one black woman in the Netherlands took it upon herself to deride all the white American single mothers. Her name was Lashanqua I seem to recall. One comment "Plz girls and kids, get off the chat and get yourself to studying, so you can have a profession and stop sleeping with street men!". I still don't know what she meant by street men. The only picture the phrase created in my mind was a whino in Manhattan laying on a sewer grating for warmth.

It sounds like an "AI". I would have thought by now they would have advanced enough to come up with something that at least sounds vaguely coherent and on topic. The idea is they randomly drop in links or keywords to boost some some search engine results.

It strongly reminds me of the old DOS shareware program "Babble". http://vetusware.com/download/Babble%21%202.0/?id=11924 (shareware version)

Just load in several different text files and it will generate a constant stream of "unique" text that sounds about as intelligent as a modern Twitter(R)(TM) feed.

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    Obviously not!

If he did he wouldn't be getting all that crap, would he?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    Yes, I have it, although I see it is asking to install an update.

Hi,

I've been using wpbruiser on my site for quite a while and it's really worked wonders.

Cheers,

Andy.

Blog Entries

A quite effective and cheap "protection" against automated spammers is to include a simple question that a human can answer in _addition_ to any captcha solution. Questions like "what is four plus five" and "what is the number of the 6502 VIA".
    Torfinn