Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New SWTPC FLEX Game

  1. #1

    Default New SWTPC FLEX Game



    I picked up a working SWTPC 6809 S/09 awhile back and thought it would be cool to write something fun to play on it. I have always been a big fan of Cribbage and knowing the limitations of the system, I figured it would be a good choice. It was also a nice excuse to learn the system, since I was brand new to both the 6809 CPU and FLEX and I got to use some of the various utilities available back in those days in a practical sense. I ended up writing the game mostly in C, with some PL/9 to handle the cursor addressing and 6809 ASM for some miscellaneous instructions like the random number generator. The game is obviously catering to a pretty niche market, i.e., Cribbage fans and owners of 6809 computers. In reality, I kind of made it just for myself, but I figured others might enjoy it. Besides, it is a great excuse to learn Cribbage if it is new to you. You can see a write-up of the entire process and access the disk image here: http://tanrunomad.com/swtpc-flex-games/

    Enjoy!
    "Deep down I'm pretty superficial." - Ava Gardner

    My Computer Museum Website: http://tanrunomad.com/

    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/brianpicchi

  2. #2

    Default

    I made some enhancements to the game including:

    *Better UI
    *More intelligent AI
    *More animated ASCII graphics, including some dancing skunks

    The game is also now compatible with just about any terminal. The first time you play it, you'll be prompted to specify if your terminal supports cursor addressing. You can save your answer choice, so the computer will remember you settings. 40K is required for normal mode. 48K is required for advanced more, which is recommended for terminals with cursor addressing facilities. The game should also work on SSB and Gimix computers.
    "Deep down I'm pretty superficial." - Ava Gardner

    My Computer Museum Website: http://tanrunomad.com/

    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/brianpicchi

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    3,493
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    That is awesome. Would this run on my 6800?

    I wish I had the skills for programming. I have that GT6144 video card and plans to make their PPG joystick and would love to try to make some kind of brickout game for it.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    That is awesome. Would this run on my 6800?

    I wish I had the skills for programming. I have that GT6144 video card and plans to make their PPG joystick and would love to try to make some kind of brickout game for it.
    It could probably be ported to the 6800 pretty easily, since most of the code is in C. Just need a good compiler. Most of my programming experience has been with the 6502. My Apple II games are almost all arcade action games which are relatively easy games to make. Brickout would be nice to play on either the 6800 or 6809. We need more games for these systems, especially games with animations. Having a game that takes advantage of the GT6144 would be cool to see!
    "Deep down I'm pretty superficial." - Ava Gardner

    My Computer Museum Website: http://tanrunomad.com/

    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/brianpicchi

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TanruNomad View Post
    It could probably be ported to the 6800 pretty easily, since most of the code is in C. Just need a good compiler. Most of my programming experience has been with the 6502. My Apple II games are almost all arcade action games which are relatively easy games to make. Brickout would be nice to play on either the 6800 or 6809. We need more games for these systems, especially games with animations. Having a game that takes advantage of the GT6144 would be cool to see!
    I was thinking the same thing - about porting it to the Tektronix 4052/4054 computers.
    But since your game takes 48KB of space - the 4051 computers and emulator won't be able to run it.

    I particularly appreciated finding the link to the Motorola 6800 MIKBUG and MINIBUG instructions and source code. I was trying to figure out how to make a serial console debugger for my Tektronix 4054A computer - and I think relocating Motorola MINIBUG into RAM and assembling with my Tektronix 4052A/4054A assembler should work just fine

    falter should be able to assemble my port of MINIBUG to work with his Tektronix board by just changing the ACIA serial address and relocating the program to valid user memory addresses. Or maybe MINIBUG is what is already running on that system?

    Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; September 30th, 2018 at 07:58 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    I was thinking the same thing - about porting it to the Tektronix 4052/4054 computers.
    But since your game takes 48KB of space - the 4051 computers and emulator won't be able to run it.
    Technically, it requires only 40K to work. 48K is only required for terminals with cursor positioning. That additional code includes an animated title screen, instructions, multiple animated ending screens and a static score display. It was written in Assembly and PL/9. The 40K version was written entirely in C. I'm pretty satisfied with the result. I'd argue it is one of the best Cribbage engines out there in terms of computer AI and decision making, at least for an 8-bit machine. Of course, I am a bit biased. The most time consuming part was writing that AI and giving him some personality. It was also the funnest aspect of it.
    "Deep down I'm pretty superficial." - Ava Gardner

    My Computer Museum Website: http://tanrunomad.com/

    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/brianpicchi

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •