Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model 1 Expansion Interface Compatibility

Default Model 1 Expansion Interface Compatibility

I have a Model 1 that has the buffered cable modification. Can that system be used with a newer version EI that does not have the modification?

I'm finding information about the differences and why the various versions exist, but I've not yet found anything about compatibility.

-Kevin

When you say the "buffered cable " modification, do you mean the flat cable with buffer chips in the middle, or the extra DIN cable between the computer and EI.

The former is the actual "buffer". Just change to a straight ribbon cable as the buffer chips now live on the EI board. The latter contains the extra clock signals from the computer to the EI. Again, the redesigned EI board did away with the need for those signals; all the change on the M1 itself did was to provide those signals to the EI; there's no functional change to the M1 itself.

PJH

Quote Originally Posted by pjhacnau View Post
    When you say the "buffered cable " modification, do you mean the flat cable with buffer chips in the middle, or the extra DIN cable between the computer and EI.
    Sorry, I meant the latter. I likely screwed up the terminology.

The former is the actual "buffer". Just change to a straight ribbon cable as the buffer chips now live on the EI board. The latter contains the extra clock signals from the computer to the EI. Again, the redesigned EI board did away with the need for those signals; all the change on the M1 itself did was to provide those signals to the EI; there's no functional change to the M1 itself.
    So if I acquire a newer version of EI and use a proper (unbuffered) cable with it, my Model 1 should work fine with that EI?

-Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by troj View Post
    Sorry, I meant the latter. I likely screwed up the terminology.

So if I acquire a newer version of EI and use a proper (unbuffered) cable with it, my Model 1 should work fine with that EI?

-Kevin
    To my knowledge, yes. However I only have the "final" EI so I can't state it from experience. Ian (or others) - care to give a definitive statement?

PJH

Yes, even if your Model I has the dongle cable hanging out the back, it can be used with the later model EI.

I use mine that way all the time.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by TRS-Ian View Post
    Yes, even if your Model I has the dongle cable hanging out the back, it can be used with the later model EI.

I use mine that way all the time.
    Thanks Ian!

-Kevin