Image Map Image Map

Thread: Toshiba T3100E

Default Toshiba T3100E

Many years ago, I had a Toshiba T3200SX which I stupidly got rid of before they became very collectable. That machine was a pretty competent 386 and was also pretty standard with VGA graphics, standard 1.44MB floppy and an IDE hard drive etc. Also loved the orange plasma screen on it.

I've got the opportunity to pick up a T3100E for a reasonable price. I was tempted as I thought it was just the same machine with a 286 CPU instead of a 386, but on closer inspection it seems to be a bit of an oddball machine with more differences to the T3200SX than I expected so now I'm not too sure. Hoping people with knowledge of the machine can help out with a few questions:

It's listed as having a 640x400 screen, but it's also listed as being a CGA machine. Does it support any EGA modes at all (even the better quality text font, or the 640x200 16 colour mode would be something)?

What software actually supports the 640x400 bitmap mode (assuming it has one). Specifically, is there a Windows driver for it?

Despite being a 286, it only has a double density 720KB floppy drive. Is this because they just happened to fit a 720K drive in which case I could swap it out for a 1.44MB model, or is it actually a double density floppy controller in which case I'm stuck with it?

What sort of hard drive is fitted? I know it's a 3 1/2" drive, but the interface seem unclear. Some sources say it's proprietary, some say ESDI, others say it's ST506. Trying to gauge how likely it is to be able to replace it (don't even know if the fitted drive works).

It has a DE9 connector for an external monitor which is described only as being an 'RGB Monitor Output'. Is this a standard CGA/EGA type output which would work with an IBM 5153/5154 type monitor, or is it some other standard?
    Last edited by cwathen; August 5th, 2018 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwathen View Post
    It's listed as having a 640x400 screen, but it's also listed as being a CGA machine. Does it support any EGA modes at all (even the better quality text font, or the 640x200 16 colour mode would be something)?
    What software actually supports the 640x400 bitmap mode (assuming it has one). Specifically, is there a Windows driver for it?
    CGA only, 4 intensity combinations; not sure what supports/uses the 640x400 mode.

Despite being a 286, it only has a double density 720KB floppy drive. Is this because they just happened to fit a 720K drive in which case I could swap it out for a 1.44MB model, or is it actually a double density floppy controller in which case I'm stuck with it?
    You may be thinking of the 3100; FDD is 1.44MB

What sort of hard drive is fitted? I know it's a 3 1/2" drive, but the interface seem unclear. Some sources say it's proprietary, some say ESDI, others say it's ST506. Trying to gauge how likely it is to be able to replace it (don't even know if the fitted drive works).
    None of the above (3100 again?)
    HD is normal IDE but BIOS only accommodates 20 or 40 MB; anything else would require an overlay or patching the BIOS.

It has a DE9 connector for an external monitor which is described only as being an 'RGB Monitor Output'. Is this a standard CGA/EGA type output which would work with an IBM 5153/5154 type monitor, or is it some other standard?
    CGA.

see
    http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manu...0-%20Flyer.pdf

Blog Entries

Windows 3 should be able to run the internal display in A&T Monochrome or PVC providing 640x400. There is a note saying that the T3100 needs a later BIOS to do this; I don't see anything about the T3100e. Other software that supports the AT&T 640x400 mode may be able to use the T3100e display in that mode.