Image Map Image Map

Thread: Alps DFD222A02 schematic?

Default Alps DFD222A02 schematic?

Hi all,
    I'm trying to make this Alps 5.25" 360K floppy disk drive work, I've tried on two different motherboards (one vintage, one quite recent) and it doesn't want to format anything. Mechanics has been cleaned and it can seek back and forth without problems. It always stop formatting at the first track and I don't have a reliable 360K DOS formatted media (I have plenty of Apple and CBM formatted media) to try reading it.
    Does anyone have a schematic of this drive maybe? PC 360K disk drives are very scarce in my collection (this one and another one in unknown state that I'll test shortly anyway).
    Thanks

Frank

Blog Entries

When you try to write/format to the floppy, what's the error? And are you using DSDD media and not DSHD?

That Alps drive was used by IBM for a few models and is largely LSI ICs, so a schematic may not help you. Do you own an oscilloscope?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    When you try to write/format to the floppy, what's the error? And are you using DSDD media and not DSHD?

That Alps drive was used by IBM for a few models and is largely LSI ICs, so a schematic may not help you. Do you own an oscilloscope?
    Well, the error is not so helpful: I/O error on sector 0. Seems like the disk change signal isn't working properly, but I'm not sure about it. I often repair Apple and CBM drives, I own a few oscilloscopes and many other pieces of test equipment. Of course I'm using DD media. This drive has an Amstrad part number too.
    Frank

Ok, looks like I was smelling the right problem. I told the OS driver (I'm using Linux) to ignore the disk change line and the drive works now perfectly. It can format and read very well.
    Any info about this DCL line and how it's supposed to work in these drives?

Frank