Image Map Image Map

Thread: Early Apple II sold within half an hour on eBay

Default Early Apple II sold within half an hour on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302833130974

Apple II Computer w/ Serial #22954--fan included- manual included with Rev.3 Main Board, with video, language, PRinterface card (NOT PICTURED), interface, and ROM card. When plugged in, computer and fan while run and it does light up, but that was as far as it was went in seeing if it works fully.
    Amdek Video-300- turns on- only could get green screen, but all buttons work perfectly
    TG Products Joystick-- untested
    2 Disk Drives-- Could only get Drive 1 to work when turned on system while preparing to sell.
    This sold after about 30 minutes of being listed for $650.
    🕹💾 collecting Commodore, Apple, Next, IBM & making them shiny again 📺✨

2. Default

Basically just bought the old-style keyboard and the serial number sticker on the bottom of the case. The description of the Apple is inaccurate. The pictures show a different story. That is a late-revision motherboard, probably an RFI-era board, with Applesoft ROMs on it. His so-called "ROM Card" is in slot 3, has a connector, and so is probably an 80-columns card.

Sad.

Same guy has another Apple II up for even more?! https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302833167882

Blog Entries

eBay's really getting gutsy... That link redirects me to a phishing site.

I think we need to consult falter to be sure but I think I've seen late //+s with the old style keyboard. I had assumed that Apple was using up old stock.

Blog Entries

The seller might get in a bit of a pickle here.. that is definitely an RFI board in there, not Rev 3. The RFI board gets rid of the 8T28s at H10 and 11 and replaces them with a single 8304. Rev 7 was the last to have the 8T28s.

PSU could be right or wrong.. I have a number of A2S1's in the 24000s down that mostly have gold PSUs, but then there are silver later in several of the units in the 30000s. Hard to say.

Keyboard is correct. The flatter raised square type keyboard appears midway in the 30,000s, this is the full raised keycap and that aligns with what I have in this serial number range in my database.

Probably this was an original A2S1 but like many before it the mobo died, maybe the PSU also, and got replaced. If the date stamps are there on the inside of the case and backside of the keyboard, and they're both within the first several weeks of 1979 and both fairly close to eachother, I'd say it's most likely not a II/II+ frankenstein.. just a II that got repaired/upgraded.

But yeah, based on how fast it went, I'm gonna say someone's going to have some buyer's remorse here, and this will come back on the seller later.
    Last edited by falter; August 6th, 2018 at 06:53 AM.

Falter, is there a good online guide or a book about identifying the various Apple II releases, and what to expect with what serial number ranges?
    Last edited by Madrobby; August 6th, 2018 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Madrobby View Post
    Falter, is there a good online guide or a book about identifying the various Apple II releases, and what to expect with what serial number ranges?
    Not that I'm aware of. There are websites, etc that purport to be authoritative but all have mistakes or contradictory info. Recently I created this list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wLI/edit#gid=0

My intent with this was mainly to track values as I've been sort of selling/trading my way up to a Rev 0 and wanted to make sure I didn't overpay. But I also found it useful to track motherboard revisions, keyboards and PSUs used. Apple wasn't linear in how they did things, but with enough data you can sort of divine what is factory installed vs. aftermarket. It's by no means exhaustive but I've got enough there to be useful now.