Image Map Image Map

Thread: PC-XT XT-IDE woes.

Default PC-XT XT-IDE woes.

Hi,

Please be tolerant of a newbie to vintage. I am trying to get a PC-XT running. It has an MFM that sounds exactly like a Kenwood Chef, with bolts in the bowl, so it will not likely be long for this world. It has MS DOS 2.0 on it. I have tried getting a fairly fresh ST-225 to work with it, but Debug has accepted no combination of G=CXXX:XXX type commands G=C800:800 appeared to be 'winning' and then asked me for a lot of detailed commands that I can't find the data to set up the ST-225 for. Route 1 terminated there. A horrid shame since I think the ST-225 is in pretty fair nick.

Route 2 IT-IDE Rev 1 card with CF add on. Okay, the motherboard sees the XT-IDE as it should, but getting it to initialise the CF card. I run out of knowledge. It has me beaten.

Can anyone give me a suggestion suitable for a small child, or a golden retriever, to understand how to get the damnable CF card initialised? Please?

I have thrown cash at this nostalgia box, big time. What it takes, it takes. But it IS going to work. I may well hate it with a passion by then, but it will work!

What is the controller you are trying to use for this?

Blog Entries

You don't need to initialize the CF card like you do an ST-225, just boot the system, then fdisk/format /s as always.

It might help troubleshooting if you don't have both hard drives/controllers installed at the same time. Try to get the XT-IDE working first.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyT View Post
    Route 2 IT-IDE Rev 1 card with CF add on. Okay, the motherboard sees the XT-IDE as it should, but getting it to initialise the CF card. I run out of knowledge. It has me beaten.

Can anyone give me a suggestion suitable for a small child, or a golden retriever, to understand how to get the damnable CF card initialised? Please?

I have thrown cash at this nostalgia box, big time. What it takes, it takes. But it IS going to work. I may well hate it with a passion by then, but it will work!
    Make sure you're using a recent version of XTIDE Universal BIOS. Then boot from a MS-DOS version 5 (or newer) boot disk and run FDISK /MBR.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

An MFM st225 doesn't need a controller bios..It's a standard drive type 2 and should work fine with the CMOS. Select type 2 then low level format with software, fdisk and dos format.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    An MFM st225 doesn't need a controller bios..It's a standard drive type 2 and should work fine with the CMOS. Select type 2 then low level format with software, fdisk and dos format.
    XT class machines generally do not have any hard disk support built in and do require a controller BIOS.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Oh, I had an XT clone and it had a cmos setup accessed with a software program from floppy, but I wasn't sure about IBM boards. Now I know for sure. Thanks.\

My MFM controller from an IBM 5150 has dip switches to select a st225 (62x0766).
    Last edited by norm8332; August 7th, 2018 at 07:41 PM.