Image Map Image Map

Thread: Commodore Cash Register anyone?

Default Commodore Cash Register anyone?

I noticed today that Bo's site has gained a copy of a "Commodore Cash Register" of all things (http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...ter/index.html).

This looks to be based on a PET 4032 running basic2 with a customised ROM set and a bespoke internal board added to the memory expansion port. Correction: An 8032 running in 40 column mode.

I just had to try it in VICE:

-model 4032 -rom9 ccr-9.bin -romA ccr-a.bin -romB ccr-b.bin -basic basic2 -editor ccr-e.bin -kernal kernal2

(note that I downloaded the customised ROMS and minimised their names a bit).

It gets as far as asking me to logon as a cashier - and then complains about "INVALID KEYLOCK POSITION", which I assume to mean the key-operated switch that has been added to the PET.

EDIT: I have found what I think it is looking for. The additional board consists of a number of devices (e.g. a 6523 tri-port interface and a 6526 complex interface device) that seem to be mapped into the Commodore memory map at $84XX. The 6523 tri-port device (U2) appears to be mapped to $841X. EDIT: Rubbish - the address appears to be $8C9X! The "key lock" appears to be connected to a decimal priority encoder (U6 - SN74147) that is (in turn) connected to U2 ports PC0-PC3. I wonder if I 'fake' this device I can get some sense out of the ROMS?

In looking at some photographs I have found online - it looks as though all of the features of the additional board are not being utilised (for example - the purpose-built keyboard appears to attach to the 8032 keyboard connector [in place of the standard PET keyboard] instead of to the additional board).

A bit of a diversion...

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; August 6th, 2018 at 01:31 PM.

I think I may have seen this particular one on Craigslist and was tempted but the price was quite high. I wonder what the buyer bought it for. Interesting machine.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at the serial number plate, it's a different one yet a couple of the pictures are the same as posted. Maybe the person who posted the pictures has two and was selling one?
    Last edited by snuci; August 6th, 2018 at 11:38 AM.

Interesting...

Dave

Interesting variation of the Commodore logo... I don't think I've seen that before.

Neither have I - but the logo does seem logical.

I see from the sales literature that the logo seems to have disappeared from the front of the machine in some of the shots.

I have found the first difference between a 'stock' 8032 and this one - the VDU screen address decoding has been changed. The screen RAM now occupies $8000 to $87FF (max). This leaves room for the additional card to me memory mapped into the 'freed' space from $8800 to $8FFF.

It looks like the 'new board' occupies $8C80 to $8CFF (assuming I have got my address decoding logic correct this time!).

Dave