Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Exidy Sorcerer CP/M

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn View Post
    Since we have gone off-topic a few posts ago and my question seems related to the usage of disk images...

I have tried to save a file to a disk image in Mame, but it fails / hangs. Is this a known issue and does anyone know how to fix it?
    probably best to ask on the mame forum
    https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthre...Board=1&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn View Post
    It may well be an enclosure for the dual disk drive. Here's a picture of one I had once, with the drives inserted.
    Attachment 47476

They were 77 tracks, 100 TPI. But they have a normal 34 pin Shugart interface and need a separate FDC to connect to a Sorcerer.
    Micropolis metafloppy

That by far seems to be the most common drive around.
    There is one up on eBay right now with a couple of Exidy floppies w/o the S-100 card
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mic...e/292576089404

but it's too expensive to get at couple of single-sided 100tpi drives ($569)

We appear to have copies in the CHM collection of the floppies that are there
    We also appear to have four or five of them in the hardware collection along with the controllers that appear to have been
    connected either to Sorcerers or Sols

I made a rather large update to the documentation available at http://bitsavers.org/pdf/exidy
    just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    I made a rather large update to the documentation available at http://bitsavers.org/pdf/exidy
    just now.
    Al do you have physical access to any of the newsletters in this index http://bitsavers.org/pdf/exidy/Sorce...icle_Index.pdf ?

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    Al do you have physical access to any of the newsletters in this index http://bitsavers.org/pdf/exidy/Sorce...icle_Index.pdf ?
    I found the Sorcerer's Apprentice run, which I just finished scanning.

It looks like a Micropolis Metafloppy. The controller is S-100, 16 hard sectors, memory mapped.
    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/micropolis/metafloppy

Attachment 47474
    It looks like a Micropolis Metafloppy (same case) but the Exidy branding suggests it is actually the Exidy FDS which used Micropolis drives but soft-sectored.

it is actually the Exidy FDS which used Micropolis drives but soft-sectored.
    It will depend on if the box has a 34 or 50 pin cable coming out of it.
    I scanned in a bunch more sales information, and it implies their external stand-alone floppy didn't use the expansion box
    and had a 50 pin connector. It also looks like they made their own enclosure, which is high enough to have held their
    soft-sectored floppy controller board.

Do any other Exidy soft-sectored floppies exist other than the one image that Chuck created?

In the CHM collection, everything we have labeled as Exidy are hard-sectored. I haven't determined yet if they are 100tpi or not.

This is a picture of the rear side of the "dual drive" enclosure:

IMG_4159.jpg

If you zoom in on the right lower corner you'll be able to make out the 34 pin edge connector.

They were double sided drives iirc, there was a red number display showing if side 0 or side 1 was accessed. A not very useful but kind of cool feature.

It will depend on if the box has a 34 or 50 pin cable coming out of it.
    I scanned in a bunch more sales information, and it implies their external stand-alone floppy didn't use the expansion box
    and had a 50 pin connector. It also looks like they made their own enclosure, which is high enough to have held their
    soft-sectored floppy controller board.
    That sounds reasonable. I will continue researching the trade lit and contemporary newsletters with the aim of putting together a guide to Sorcerer disk systems.

Do any other Exidy soft-sectored floppies exist other than the one image that Chuck created?
    Not aware of any but that is only because there is no intersection between the set of people who still have all their old Sorcerer gear and the people who have the knowledge, time, commitment and equipment to image that material and its documentation. I don't have a disk system myself, I went from a tape-based unit to an Amiga 2000 so CP/M and 5.25inch floppy folklore is completely new to me but I am building a USB to Shugart interface from a kit and negotiating access to floppies. The initial preservation priorities are disk controller ROMs, manuals and the CP/M Master Discs with their custom CBIOS so that examples of the various mass storage peripherals can be maintained in a working state and demonstrated.

In the CHM collection, everything we have labeled as Exidy are hard-sectored. I haven't determined yet if they are 100tpi or not.
    Not sure if there were any 96tpi hard sector setups for the Sorcerer ... and whether Microps Mod 1 was 48tpi ... but there was the Vista system which was hard sector with 10 sectors.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Not sure if there were any 96tpi hard sector setups for the Sorcerer ... and whether Microps Mod 1 was 48tpi ... but there was the Vista system which was hard sector with 10 sectors.

Your efforts are appreciated.
    thanks!

I have my Supercard Pro set up now, and a good working Tandon TM-100-4M .

I have a huge backlog of various types of 5" and 8" hard-sectored floppies from many different companies that I'm going to try
    to start imaging and recovering data from, along with some very obscure soft-sectored disks from companies like Milwaukee Computers.