Image Map Image Map

Thread: Google Drive

Angry Google Drive

Google Drive is a royal PITA:
    1: Moving files from Google account to another Google Account through Google Drive is not possible except for Google Documents and folders.
    2: Moving / copying Google Drive directories and automatically including sub directories is not possible. Each folder has to be shared / configured one by one.
    3: Moving large volumes of files / directories within the same Google Drive takes forever.
    4: Downloading directories of files with many files as a ZIP takes a very long time.

So much for cloud computing power.

1. What files would you move from one Google Account to another Google account would you have that are not in a Drive folder somewhere? You know you can mark multiple files/folders as shared with the other account, right?

2. From what I remember, a folder in a shared folder is also shared.

3 & 4: It's not a local filesystem ...

Sometimes a rant isn't really a rant and it's asking for help?

I want to consolidate everything under one account.

You can share the files and folders with the other account, then make copies. (I'm not sure if a direct transfer is possible, but this has the same affect.)

Remember, it is not a local filesystem so comparing it to one is not realistic. The beauty of online storage is that it's easily shared with others and accessible from any device when you have network access.

When I make copies it says "copy of" which is annoying. Renaming thousands of files manually is a PITA.

Blog Entries

I don't use Google drive (intentionally*). But can't you put everything that you want to copy into a "folder"(no idea if you can or what they call it) and copy the "folder?" Then you only have to rename once.

(*I do have files that ended up on Google drive somehow. They are my files but I don't know how they got there or what to do with them there.)

No. You can share folders / files. The contents of a folder are shared. So they are not copied. In order to have ownership and have them on your drive you need to either download from A and upload to B. Or copy the shared files in A to A. In the latter case all the files say "copy of".

For some reason Google Drive gets hung up on large MOV files. Anything > 10MB really slows down ZIPs for download. Which is disappointing: cloud computing should have sufficient CPU to just do it in seconds.

So the work around is to copy the MOVs and download JPGs. Very time consuming.
    Last edited by PeterNC; August 8th, 2018 at 05:02 AM.

Just to make sure we put things in perspective ... How much are you paying for this service?

Cloud is by definition a shared service. I'd be willing to bet that if you did it at a different time of the day your results would be different.

And as always, if you value your data store it locally too. Cloud data can disappear for all sorts of reasons, most of them not technical. (Terms of service violations for example ...)

Blog Entries

Or a sudden whim at Google, or a government threat of policy change. Or acts of God et cetera.

Agreed. Need to burn DVDs.