Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USB Stick on Win95/DOS ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    How to start the update, in Windows, or from DOS?
    Never tried it from DOS (not saying that it can't be done), but from Windows it's pretty much brainless if you have autorun enabled on the CD drive....

By the way, the Panasonic USB driver is an ASPI hostadapter driver, similar to aspi2dos.sys, aspi4.dos. sys etc. So it can be combined with aspidisk.sys instead of using di1000d.sys for the logicl drives. That opens some additional possibilities...

I wioll now see what happens if I start setup from win98se CD...

By the way, the Panasonic USB driver is an ASPI hostadapter driver, similar to aspi2dos.sys, aspi4.dos. sys etc. So it can be combined with aspidisk.sys instead of using di1000d.sys for the logicl drives. That opens some additional possibilities...
    Please, continue...
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

The only way I know how to use a USB sick in dos is ether with a floppy emu or by putting a dos boot disk on a USB stick. But then your stuck with finding away to get USB booting to work.
    For 9x you need the Universal USB Mass Storage Device Drivers. you will need the USB support update for 95 too.

Id just pull the hdd and put it in a newer system and dump the files over. They make IDE to USB caddys and you can get a IDE or scsi card for new PCs.
    Last edited by Mr. Horse; August 9th, 2018 at 10:16 AM.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    The only way I know how to use a USB sick in dos is ether with a floppy emu or by putting a dos boot disk on a USB stick.
    I guess you've never tried the Panasonic driver mentioned earlier in this thread. I use USB sticks with my DOS tweener regularly as do several other members here.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

That panasonic driver works quite nice. But you need USB card with VIA chipset. The NEC USB 2.0 cards are not detected.

pnp3.jpg

pnp4.jpg

By the way, updating Win 95 to 98SE is possible, but I need 98SE Update ISO, haven't found it yet.

That panasonic driver works quite nice. But you need USB card with VIA chipset. The NEC USB 2.0 cards are not detected.
    I found the Panasonic drivers worked well with OHCI > Controllers, I had no problems with using any of my flash drives in DOS, I have a couple of systems with UHCI controllers and the Panasonic drivers only found 1 of my oldest flash drives out of the 7 or 8 i have, However the IOMEGA drivers worked fine with the UHCI controllers but they used more memory than the panasonic drivers.

By the way, updating Win 95 to 98SE is possible, but I need 98SE Update ISO, haven't found it yet.
    Ive got 98SE update disks. Im sure we can figure a way to get it to you.

74073AF7-0570-40E7-BE3D-C7223BFE6FD8.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    Never tried it from DOS (not saying that it can't be done), but from Windows it's pretty much brainless if you have autorun enabled on the CD drive....
    All you need to do in DOS is select your CDROM drive letter (let's say d:) and type setup like so:

cd d:
    setup

If you boot from the installer CDROM all it does for W95/98/ME is install some basic IDE CDROM drivers plus MSCDEX to assign it a drive letter. It then runs setup from it's autoexec.bat.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Another observation about the DOS USB driver from Panasonic:

Besides the USB card I also have an Adaptec 1505 SCSI controller in that machine. Yesterday the first time I have connected a SCSI ZIP drive to that one. So aspidisk.sys handels them both, USB stick and ZIP drive. I get D: and E: assigned accessible on DOS prompt. But as long as the ZIP drive is assigned, the USB stick access is VERY slow when typing a DIR command on it. File transfer ist still at the same speed as without ZIP drive connected.