Image Map Image Map

Thread: Box'o'processors

Blog Entries

Default Box'o'processors

Was doing a cleanup of my shop and found a couple boxes of processor pulls.

20180801_151746.jpg

Not sure why I kept 'em. I'm in IT for a living and these were from when I used to build and sell PCs. I guess there's some nostalgia there.. each one of them represents a meal I earned, either building someone's machine or upgrading. Or building it and then upgrading years later. I especially earned my meals with those awful socket A Duron CPUs.. man, I remember how my gut sank every time I accidentally crushed part of the core on those. Which thankfully didn't happen often or except in one case lead to serious consequences. Consequences were expensive back then!!

The 486s came about from an idea a friend of mine and I had... back in that brief period when the internet was getting hot but PCs were still expensive (the net appliance era). With Linux taking off we were going to build a bunch of basic 486 net surfers. Never got past the processor purchase stage.. haha.

For some reason I really love the P2 and could never turn down keeping one if the opportunity arose. When they were current the P2-450 with 440bx motherboard was where it was at.. but I couldn't afford it. Not when 64mb of RAM was running $200cdn and anything Intel was $$$. Think I went for a K6-2.

Not sure what I'll do with these. I have been keeping motherboards for each type around in case I get the urge to build a machine out of one.
    Last edited by falter; August 7th, 2018 at 03:45 PM.

Ewww, a Cyrix 6x86MX.

Now's the time to organize them since they're fresh on your mind. If you have Walmarts up there, they sell 3 and 5 drawer parts bins which work perfectly for either memory modules or CPU stacks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...awers/10877957

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...White/15442449

Blog Entries

I keep a box of processors that will probably never end up in machines. Most of them are chips I never seen or owned before (486 SX and SX/2, Cyrix 686 models, AMD K5, evergreen 486/133 , ST 486, IDT Winchips, all the 387 coprocessors, 486 SLC chips, etc.).

Most of those came from stripped out OEM budget machines at the local recycler before it closed. I used to rummage through their CPU bin before they got sent out and picked out the oddball ones of interest (I should have just saved all the gold topped PPros).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    evergreen 486/133
    Is this the Evergreen upgrade chip with a QFP Am486DX5-133 on it? Would you be willing to part with it? Mine died years ago and I haven't been able to find a replacement.

I've thought about cutting off the QFP Am486DX5 and soldering on a new one, but haven't found one at a reasonable price yet.

Blog Entries

Yes they are SMT late build 486 on a circuit board that plugs into a 486 socket. They show up on ebay all the time but are not cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Is this the Evergreen upgrade chip with a QFP Am486DX5-133 on it? Would you be willing to part with it? Mine died years ago and I haven't been able to find a replacement.

I've thought about cutting off the QFP Am486DX5 and soldering on a new one, but haven't found one at a reasonable price yet.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evergreen-T.../183348828003? <==== not my auction.

Cripes that's expensive. A QFP Am486DX5-133 is less than half the cost, I think I'll take my chances repairing my existing unit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Most of those came from stripped out OEM budget machines at the local recycler before it closed. I used to rummage through their CPU bin before they got sent out and picked out the oddball ones of interest (I should have just saved all the gold topped PPros).
    I had a dual PPro system and had intended to keep both the CPUs and mobo for it... but for some reason it's disappeared. Darn. That was my first dual processor machine.

Yeah I don't forsee these chips ever being put to use... I have a Slot 1 P3 system I'm using as a 'bridge' system. Also have a Commodore branded 486.. both work so no real need to change anything. I kept one motherboard from a Socket A machine but I can't think of a reason to build a Duron/Athlon XP PC at the moment.