Image Map Image Map

Thread: Commodore PET 4016 - Free local pickup

Default Commodore PET 4016 - Free local pickup

Hi all! While cleaning out the basement of my girlfriend's mother's house, I found this Commodore PET 4016. I did not want to just throw it away, so took it home in hopes that it worked. Unfortunately, on power-up, all I get is the dreaded "garbage screen". I've re-seated all socketed IC's and even replaced the cpu, but still gives the same screen. I do not wish to spend any more time with this, but also don't want to bring it to electronic recycling before reaching out to anyone on this forum who might like to have it. I'm in southern California in the San Gabriel Valley. This is my first post, but assume there is a PM function? If so, just message me if you'd like to have this PET 4016.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mf,
    I'd like to try out some new diagnostic tools that he guys have been working on. And if it turns out to be an easy fix, you can have it back if you pick it up. I'm not sure if the private message feature is enabled for newcomers, but I will try.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mfenberg View Post
    Hi all! While cleaning out the basement of my girlfriend's mother's house, I found this Commodore PET 4016. I did not want to just throw it away, so took it home in hopes that it worked. Unfortunately, on power-up, all I get is the dreaded "garbage screen". I've re-seated all socketed IC's and even replaced the cpu, but still gives the same screen. I do not wish to spend any more time with this, but also don't want to bring it to electronic recycling before reaching out to anyone on this forum who might like to have it. I'm in southern California in the San Gabriel Valley. This is my first post, but assume there is a PM function? If so, just message me if you'd like to have this PET 4016.

Thanks!
    If only you were on the other coast...

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    If only you were on the other coast...
    Ditto on that RPIGUY

Hi!

I'm already in touch with Dave! He's close to me and we'll meet sometime this weekend. I hated the thought of bringing it to electronic recycling! Will let you know if Dave can get it going!

-Mark

Hi Mark,

No, please don't send it to the recyclers!

Dave (m) will give it all the TLC it needs!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Hi Mark,

No, please don't send it to the recyclers!

Dave (m) will give it all the TLC it needs!

Dave
    Hi Dave!

Believe me, the last thing I wanted to do was to bring it to the recyclers! That's exactly why I was first reaching out to members of this forum. It sounds like Dave (m) has the experience and tools to possibly get this 4016 working. Will keep everyone posted!

Mark

Always remember, if someone wants it bad enough, bring it to a UPS store, tell them you want to know how much it will cost to pack and ship, send the person back the number, have them pay you and tell UPS to knock themselves out, it requires minimal effort on your part, and can save a potentially very valuable piece of hardware.

I can vouch that UPS will do this, I had this done once with a guy at the UPS store after I found is listing through a Craigslist search in another state nowhere near me. He sent me the quote for packing and shipping while he was there, I paid right away, and it arrived, very well packed (considering they are professionals) and on time, with a copy of the receipt to show what I paid is what it cost.

It all depends on how badly one wants something. Sometimes you have to take the risk that the person isn't ripping you off. Luckily this guy didn't.

Second that, I did that with FedEx - and I know they're much-maligned, but FedEx does a better job of shipping when they pack themselves in front of you and they have to insure it. Cost me $140 but the PC and monitor got to their destination safely. And UPS is probably fine too.

I'm onboard with FedEx rather than UPS. I've packed lots of vintage drum kits over the years, which have shipped across the country with no damage. However, the 4016 is a different matter and, per suggestions, would get t quote from the shipper. However, the bottom line is that I'm meeting up with member dave_m tomorrow, to deliver my PET to him. He's wants to see if he can get it going and give it back to me. How cool is that?!!

-Mark