Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serial interface for my model 4

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Newirth View Post
    You need to remove the cover shield on the back of the computer that covers the motherboard
    Then you need to remove all connectors from the motherboard and remove it
    The FDD and RS232 daughter cards are installed on the back panel (FDD on left and RS232 on right)

The connection cables are very hard to find and I have quite a few sets of them ..... YOU NEED TO BE VERY CAREFUL INSERTING AND BENDING THEM. WITH CARE you will have no problems.
    The photo posted shows the (2) white flex cables that you need. I sell them in pairs

NOTE: THE MODEL 4 should have the 2 connectors already inside the machine to attach these (2) cards --- you shouldn't have to "build" any connector. I also sell RS232 cards if the one you get fails.

PS Thanks TROJ for referencing me in this post !!!!
    I've since found out, after looking back through pictures of the inside of the machine, that the power connectors are in there. (See the photo sets that I attached to my reply to Ian.) I'm going to drive by Gateway Electronics this weekend (where I originally got the model 4) on the off chance that they have some of these white flex cables. I never know what they're going to have on any given day. It's likely that they won't have them, but it would save time if they do. If not, of it's OK, I'll PM you to arrange buying a set from you.

Thanks for the info!

Default One more thing...

I remembered yesterday that a while back, I had ran across someone selling TRS-80 floppy controllers really cheaply. I bought what looks like a new-in-the-bag a floppy controller for a model 3/4. At the time, I had no idea if it was compatible with my model 4 or how to install it, and I since I had a M3SE coming, I didn't think I would have a use for it any time soon. so I shelved it long enough to forget about it. I remembered it when I started looking at those flex cables, because this controller has one attached, though in this case the interface card side of it is soldered on.

The component layout looks slightly different on this card than on some other floppy controllers I've seen. One obvious thing is that crystal in the lower-right of the card. There are other's I haven't seen that on..at least not in that location. There's a hand-written sticker on the card near the crystal that says, "tested 3-18-88".

It looks like it should be compatible. I'm thinking I might as well try to add it to the model 4 while I have the main board out and everything is accessible.

Any thoughts?

20180808_223632.jpg
    20180808_223643.jpg

You can always install the board and not plug it into the motherboard (put some insulation tape over the connector) so that if/when in the future you want to mess around with the FDC you can just plug in the white cable and not do the whole motherboard remove/re-install malarkey
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by TRS-Ian View Post
    You can always install the board and not plug it into the motherboard (put some insulation tape over the connector) so that if/when in the future you want to mess around with the FDC you can just plug in the white cable and not do the whole motherboard remove/re-install malarkey
    That's a really good idea. I wasn't really wild about plugging in multiple new interface cards at once. Generally not a good idea, especially when I don't know the full history of them. I don't have a floppy drive or floppy emulator yet anyway.

Thanks!

I have just about every part that made up a Model 4 computer --- so if you need anything drop me a PM.