Image Map Image Map

Thread: Need help with Amiga 500

Default Need help with Amiga 500

Hi folks,

I am trying to restore and use an Amiga 500 which I had for a long time but for which only recently I've purchased a power supply. I also have a A590 HDD. I have a few questions. I have never owned or operated an Amiga before so I apologize if my questions are very basic.

0) I am ashamed to ask this, but where is the power button? Was it on the original power supply? I have an aftermarket power supply with no buttons. When I plug it in, the computer turns on (and then asks for a disk to be put in).
    1) If I connect the A590 using the side connector the computer does not turn on anymore. I assume the A590 needs power correct? I do not have any power supply for that. Do I need it?
    1.1) If I do need a PSU for the A590, I've looked around and it seems the Commodore floppy drive 1541-II PSU can be used. I do not have one of those either, but I do have a 1581 PSU can that be used?
    2) I will be buying some Workbench disks. What version of Workbench is compatible (desireable) to use with an Amiga 500? Can I use 3 or 4? What about Amiga OS?

Thanks!

To partly answer my question 2) it seems I have "Roms 2.0 (37.175)". Does that mean my best hope is Workbench 1.3.

For Workbench 2 it seems I need ROM 2.04 or higher.

Blog Entries

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a590

Yes you need a PS, not sure what model works. I think the power button is on the stock Amiga PS (been a while since I fired mine up and I get them confused with my C128 PS).

Amiga OS is Workbench. Workbench 2.x is what you will need and can be installed on the HD in the A590 assuming the drive and expansion are working.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

duplicate reply
    Last edited by RobertB; August 8th, 2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vladstamate View Post
    0) I am ashamed to ask this, but where is the power button? Was it on the original power supply?
    Yes, it was.
    I have an aftermarket power supply with no buttons.
    Well, then you will have to power on with a power strip that has an on/off switch.
    When I plug it in, the computer turns on (and then asks for a disk to be put in).
    That's right.
    1) If I connect the A590 using the side connector the computer does not turn on anymore. I assume the A590 needs power correct?
    Yes.
    I do not have any power supply for that. Do I need it?
    Yes.
    1.1) If I do need a PSU for the A590, I've looked around and it seems the Commodore floppy drive 1541-II PSU can be used. I do not have one of those either, but I do have a 1581 PSU can that be used?
    Yes. I've done that myself.
    2) I will be buying some Workbench disks. What version of Workbench is compatible (desireable) to use with an Amiga 500? Can I use 3 or 4?
    You can softkick into 3.0/3.1. There is no Workbench 4 for the classic Amiga (unless you are using a PPC'ed Amiga which can handle OS 4.0/4.1).
    What about Amiga OS?
    If you are talking about the other parts of the OS (like Locale, Fonts, Extras), then those would go with the particular Workbench you will be using.
    ...it seems I have "Roms 2.0 (37.175)". Does that mean my best hope is Workbench 1.3.

For Workbench 2 it seems I need ROM 2.04 or higher.
    You are slightly confused with Workbench and the Kickstart ROM. If you have a Kickstart designated 37.175, then you have Kickstart 2.04. With that Kickstart ROM, you can use Workbench 2.04 or 2.05 or 2.1. You can go down to 1.3 or softkick up to 3.0/3.1.

Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
    Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
    August 11-12 Commodore Vegas Expo v14 2018 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
    Last edited by RobertB; August 8th, 2018 at 05:32 PM.

Thank you for the answers.

If I have (as it seems) Kickstart 2.04 will I be able to boot Workbench 1.3? Or will I only be able to boot Workbench 2.x ?

I've ordered a CD32 power supply, as few people mentioned that it will work with an A590. It is actually slightly more powerful than the original CD32 PSU (more Amps for the 5V and 12V line) so it should work on the A590 power draw.

I've also ordered some Workbench 1.3 disks, hopefully I can boot those.

The power supplies for my A500 and my A590 are both awaiting a rebuild. A PC power supply has the voltages needed. I wired one up to both units. The big trick doing that is finding the A500 power connector.

If I have (as it seems) Kickstart 2.04 will I be able to boot Workbench 1.3? Or will I only be able to boot Workbench 2.x ?
    Like I said, you can use Workbench 2.04 or 2.05 or 2.1. You can go down to 1.3 or softkick up to 3.0/3.1.
    I've ordered a CD32 power supply, as few people mentioned that it will work with an A590. It is actually slightly more powerful than the original CD32 PSU...
    Oh, did you get your upgraded CD32 power supply from Ray Carlsen? Because that's where I got mine to replace the original CD32 black brick.

Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
    Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
    August 11-12 Commodore Vegas Expo v14 2018 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Thank you for the answers.

You can boot either one. But there is some compatibility issues in 1.3 although many are just cosmetic.

I've also ordered some Workbench 1.3 disks, hopefully I can boot those.
    You can but IMHO it won't be ideal. You really should get a set of 2.04 or 2.1 WB disks. I have found that some of the programs included with 1.3 can cause system crashes. For the most part it is fine with some cosmetic glitches but this can be eliminated by either getting a set of 2.1 disks or if you prefer 1.3, then it is easy to get a 1.3 ROM. You can also get a ROM switcher and choose which one you want at any time.

Cloanto has Amiga Explorer / https://www.amigaforever.com/ae/ ) which when coupled with a Null-Modem cable will let you make floppies on the Amiga from images on a PC. Also, Cloanto will sell for $9.95US a set of "Classic Media" ( https://www.amigaforever.com/media/ )

The downloadable Floppy & Hard Disk Image Pack contains 16 floppy disk images (ADF files) and 2 hard disk images (HDF files), which make it possible to boot and set up any Classic Amiga model (including the Amiga 1000, 3000 and 4000T).

Included ADF files:
    - Workbench 3.1 Floppy Disk Set (6 images, requires 3.0 or higher ROM)
    - Workbench 2.1 Floppy Disk Set (5 images, requires 2.04 or higher ROM)
    - Workbench 1.3 Floppy Disk Set (2 images, requires 1.2 or higher ROM)
    - Kickstart 1.3 Floppy Disk (required to boot Amiga 1000 systems)
    - Superkickstart 1.3+2.04 Floppy Disk (required to boot early Amiga 3000 systems)
    - Relokick 1.4a Floppy Disk (to downgrade newer systems to 1.3 in order to run some older software)

An additional copy of the above files, renamed to "8.3" (short) file names, is included in the Disk Image Pack, for use with devices like some floppy drive emulators that do not support "long" file names.
    -----[ Al ]-----

3 - TRS-80 Model I, TRS-80 Model 4D, LNW-80 Model I, Coco, 3 - Coco 2, Coco 3, 2 - Tano Dragon 64, C64, C64c, C128, 2 - Atari 800XL,
    Atari 520-ST, Atari Mega-2 ST, Amiga 1000, TS-1000, TS-2068, ZX-Spectrum, IBM 5150, 2 - Apple ][gs, Laser 128, and a butt load of Macs and Intel PCs.