Image Map Image Map

Thread: Applesoft II Blue Book dated May 1978

Default Applesoft II Blue Book dated May 1978

Does anyone have any info or history on the Applesoft II Blue Book dated May 1978? I have a Xerox copy of this manual and the front page has a date of May 1978. All I can find on the web is the August 1978 version. Thanks.

-Gil

Applesoft II was released in May 1978, so your copy of the manual may be the first release. There's probably changes in the August 1978 - would be interesting to see what the differences are.

3. Default

I am aware of two versions - one for the Applesoft version that came on Tape, and an updated version that included information on the Firmware card, when that came out. I'm not sure of the release dates of each version.

regards,
    Mike Willegal

4. Default

Applesoft was first released on tape in 1977. It did not have graphics commands, but you could write larger programs with it, because it took up less space in RAM. Then there was a second version of Applesoft that did have graphics, but you couldn't write as large of programs with it, because the interpreter was larger. Randy Wigginton added high-res graphics to Applesoft.

Old_hitech: Does your Applesoft manual have graphics commands in it? If so, are there high-res commands too?

I've compare the May 1978 dated version to the August 1978 dated version of the Applesoft II manuals. Here are the differences:

Page 8 - Variable Names
    'unless they contain a reserve word from the list below' (not in May 197

And

The list of reserved words

VTAB (not in May 197

Page 19
    PRINT LEN(Q$);Q$;3

Page 21
    PRINT STRING$, LEFT${STRING$,5)
    3.1415 3.141

Page 32
    No page number at bottom

Page 41(a) and (b) and (c)
    No page 41(a) and (b) and (c) in May 1978

Page 57
    ASCII Character Codes
    May 1978 does not have drawn in characters

The May 1978 version does contain graphics commands. It also contains high-res commands.

-Gil

I have some typos in the above post. The first few lines should be as follows:

I've compared the May 1978 dated version to the August 1978 dated version of the Applesoft II manuals. Here are the differences:

Page 8 - Variable Names
    'unless they contain a reserve word from the list below' (not in May 197

And

The list of reserved words

VTAB (not in May 197

-Gil

Blog Entries

Gil,

If you edit your post and use the advanced editor, there's an option to disable smilies, that should clear up the 8)

Matt

8. Default

This article seems to be pretty good: Transformation of Applesoft manuals