Image Map Image Map

Thread: Connecting Windows 98SE to broadband

Default Connecting Windows 98SE to broadband

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Windows 98SE PC. After some searching I have found a Windows 98SE compatible PCI Network adapter (TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR). I have installed the device and its associated drivers, however, I am unable to get the internet connection setup. I have an Ethernet cable running from the back of my PC to the back of my Wireless Router. The adapter has 2 LED's one says 'link' and the other 'act' (Presumably Action). The link light is always lit and act flashes every so often. Any help in setting up an internet connection would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Palisades

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

TCP/IP installed on the system?
    I have dyslexia, you may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Raxacoricofallapatorius is out of 98SE's acceptable modulation range qualifier so you might be in for a long night.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalisadesPal View Post
    Hi,

I have recently acquired a Windows 98SE PC. After some searching I have found a Windows 98SE compatible PCI Network adapter (TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR). I have installed the device and its associated drivers, however, I am unable to get the internet connection setup. I have an Ethernet cable running from the back of my PC to the back of my Wireless Router. The adapter has 2 LED's one says 'link' and the other 'act' (Presumably Action). The link light is always lit and act flashes every so often. Any help in setting up an internet connection would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Palisades
    act = Activity, lights up when packets are flowing, and if it is blinking then you have a physical link.

Run command.com and then:

1. ipconfig /all Make sure that the new network adapter is listed there, and that it has an ip that makes sense. Copy and paste the results into this thread if you can't make sense of it.

2. ping <ip of wifi AP>, if that works, then try ping 8.8.8.8.

If neither of these work, then check to make sure the adapter is installed correctly.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Hi,

I have tried ipconfig/all and everything appears to be as it should. I have a sensible IP. I can ping 8.8.8.8 with an average of 19ms. I can ping the IP address of the computer with no latency.

I have removed and re-installed the device using the driver disk provided.

Still no internet connection. It could just be me configuring the setup wrong?

Any further help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Palisades