Image Map Image Map

Thread: Know any good ISPs in Michigan or nearby states that respect consumer data?

Default Know any good ISPs in Michigan or nearby states that respect consumer data?

I like thinking about the idea of moving from Alaska to live close to my family in Michigan or in a neighboring state, perhaps Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or as far as North Dakota. I like the northernmost states the best because they appear to be some of the safest from natural disasters. Another main requirement I have is finding an Internet service provider that does not monitor or spy on your online activity, or sell your data to advertisers, etc. I know Comcast and AT&T are bad ones. They didn't even support Net Neutrality. Please feel free and share any personal experiences you have with local ISPs if you happen to live in Michigan or a nearby state. Perhaps the non-profit or small ISP companies are the best choices. Using a VPN would be a last resort for me.
    Last edited by computerdude92; August 10th, 2018 at 06:15 PM.

I don't know if I'd consider northern states safe from natural disasters when they've been hit every other year with massive ice storms that shut down the entire region. They also salt the roads, which is murder on vehicles. If you want to be safe from natural disasters, move somewhere in the West or South West (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah.)

As for your requirement of user data protection, it's basically non-existent anywhere. Even if you manage to find a small regional ISP, they have to peer with the bigger ISPs to connect you to the internet, which aren't obligated to protect anything once your data transits their networks.

Blog Entries

There are no good ISP providers in Michigan. It's divided up politically; i.e., AT&T, Verizon, Brighthouse, Spectrum, Comcast, and all the rest. They all get a piece of the pie, at least in SE Michigan. About 20 or 25 years ago my township singled out Comcast. They were the sole provider for cable at a supposedly reduced rate. What a joke, then and now. Works the same way with the telco's - around here a land line is AT&T and 2 or 3 miles to the west, it's Verizon, and never the 2 shall meet. We have a new township supervisor and the cable/phone thing is going to be a hot topic at the next township meeting.

Blog Entries

ISP were given monopolies because at the time it was very expensive to run the wiring to neighborhoods and ISP's wanted a guarantee they owned the data pipe and had no competition to make a profit.

Consumer data today is gold, so there will be no ISP that doesn't mine that gold. About the best you will get is that they won't sell the name/address of that data to buyers.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I wonder if Canada is any better? I've always admired the beauty of that country. BC and Yukon are the closest to me in Alaska, and Ontario is close to Michigan.

If only I was smart enough to know how to build my own ISP network and have it how I want. There was some story of how some people made their own ISP on top of a restaurant rooftop with WIFI.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    I don't know if I'd consider northern states safe from natural disasters when they've been hit every other year with massive ice storms that shut down the entire region. They also salt the roads, which is murder on vehicles. If you want to be safe from natural disasters, move somewhere in the West or South West (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Utah.)
    Meh "ice storms" are just weather here. Tornadoes cause more damage and they are pretty infrequent. There really isn't any state completely safe. There are earthquakes in Nevada and Utah and wildfires in Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    There are no good ISP providers in Michigan.
    There is "good performance" and then there is "good value". I've had Charter for close to 2 decades and never had a real problem. Speeds were always great. Maybe 1 day/year of downtime. But it's not cheap and there are no alternatives besides satellite. And I'm sure they are selling my data, just like every other ISP.

I think a VPN is probably the best option.

Blog Entries

We don't really have damaging storms here in Taxconsin. But we're not close to Michigan at all (the Yoopee is not Michigan) unless you can afford to fly a lot.

We get lots of wind where I live and we are pretty prepared for it. My house got but with an EF0 tornado a few years ago and I didn't get too much damage.

I love the area but if I were thinking about moving here, I'd probably not solely due to the road salt and the idiots who think fuel efficient highway tyres are adequate in winter because they'll just salt the @€_&##_ out of the roads.