Image Map Image Map

Thread: VGA Cable - 15 Wires - How to Tell

Blog Entries

Default VGA Cable - 15 Wires - How to Tell

Is there a way to tell when buying / picking up a VGA cable if its all 15 wires on it or not?

I need a 15 wire 15 pin cable to cut for a project I am starting, but of the two I tried at home, both only had 9 wires and one of the wires didnt correspond to any pins....

Thanks for the help
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

M to M or M to F?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Cheap VGA cables usually tie all of the ground pins together, hence why only 9 wires are needed.

There's no sure-fire way of knowing if a VGA cable has all 15 wires, but you can go on the thickness of the wire as an indication of which have more wires than others. Fat VGA cables like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/190859583718

Are likely to have more wires than the pencil thin cheap ones.

Blog Entries

I have one cable that was pretty thick, it was M to M, and it only had 9 wires, with one wire not corresponding to any of the pins when tested with a multimeter.

I am trying to get a VGA Cable with all the wires so I can put together a pass through cable to fit the Canopus Pure 3D Card I have and its 9pin MiniDin connector to VGA passthrough....

201215173239_pure_cable.jpg

L-Com SVGA cables should have all the pins wired through. You can see the datasheets here: http://www.l-com.com/audio-video-svga-cable-assemblies

Blog Entries

Thanks for the information, that should help out...

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    I have one cable that was pretty thick, it was M to M, and it only had 9 wires, with one wire not corresponding to any of the pins when tested with a multimeter.
    Did you test to the metal connector? It could have been a wire for the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    I am trying to get a VGA Cable with all the wires so I can put together a pass through cable to fit the Canopus Pure 3D Card I have and its 9pin MiniDin connector to VGA passthrough....
    Ah, yes that weird cable, I have one for my Canopus Pure 3D II.

Instead of finding a VGA cable with 15 wires, you could go with something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172255258214

I got one in the vain attempt to fix an old CRT monitor where the permanently attached VGA cable shorted internally. Unfortunately, I accidentally reversed the horizontal and vertical sync and the monitor made IC burning smells. it will still power on and display "no signal", but after fixing the connector wiring, the monitor just goes into sleep mode when the connector is plugged into a video card. I'll give it another go at repair when winter comes around and it's not smokin' hot in my garage.

Anyway, the back of the connector comes off and exposes two rows of terminal blocks which are numbered corresponding to which pin on the VGA connector they go to. It makes it really easy to use multiple strands of wire. In my case, I used three strands of 16 gauge five conductor wire with a shielded pair for the red green and blue to prevent crosstalk.