Image Map Image Map

Thread: Macintosh Quadra 605 - ROM slot

Default Macintosh Quadra 605 - ROM slot

I have a Quadra 605 with a factory installed ROM slot. The ROM slot is empty because the logic board also has the ROMs soldered on. Later Quadra 605 logic boards left off the ROM slot, although the pins for the slot are still there.

Does anyone have experience with this ROM slot? Would sticking any ROM module into the slot basically disable the on-board ROMs? I've seen various projects for customized ROM modules, including one that has a ROM disk. Would one of these ROM modules work in the Quadra 605?

I've sent the logic board off to get re-capped. Can't wait to get this puppy up and running!

Blog Entries

I seem to recall that on some models, yes, when a ROM SIMM is installed the onboard ROM is disabled.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by groink View Post
    I have a Quadra 605 with a factory installed ROM slot.
    Would one of these ROM modules work in the Quadra 605?
    Unlikely. They are mods to an earlier 030 rom set. I don't think they even work in LC class machines.

The way 68k mac roms after the IIfx worked was there was a base ROM (needed because certain software did 'come from' patches assuming they knew where a routine
    was in ROM), 'overpatches' to that ROM, and a set of 'universal tables' which described the hardware details of the machine, which triggers a bunch of conditional code.
    The ROM also got bigger as time went on (256k, 512k, 1mb).
    What you would need for a 605 is a pretty late version of the "Terror" ROM code base to start with.
    The 840/660av is the lone 68k exception, which has a unique code base, which was used in PowerPC.