Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1980s productivity software

Blog Entries

I just listed a couple uncommon ones. If you want a real hard to find Database look for Infocom (yes the game software company) Cornerstone.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Xacalite View Post
    This was later renamed "StarWriter", right?
    From the 80s, I know ChiWriter - a word processor working in graphics mode, so it could display various fonts, including Greek letters used eg. in math equations.
    This word processor was clearly made for scientific texts, but gained a lot of popularity around here as a general-purpose editor, as it was easily adapted for national character support.
    That was the try to clone Signum! for ATARI ST series. Signum! was a class of it's own, also in printing quality on matrix printers, coming close to a laser.

I liked Ashton Tate's Framework for an all-in-one but have only used the version they sold for the TRS-80 Model 2000.

I also liked Wordstar and R:base. I did a lot of work with R:base 2000 in the late 80's.

For a bit when I was publishing a newsletter, I was using Express Publisher as well
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

I remember my dad using Microsoft Works v1.05 on our 286 for all sorts of word processing, database, spreadsheet work. It was quite powerful for a 'basic' package.
    Bobby.

I realize it was early 90's (and it's wrapped up in a GUI), but I always thought Geoworks 1.x was pretty impressive software for what low-end equipment it could run on...

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    I realize it was early 90's (and it's wrapped up in a GUI), but I always thought Geoworks 1.x was pretty impressive software for what low-end equipment it could run on...
    Early 90s is practically very late 80s, so that’s fine!
    🕹💾 collecting Commodore, Apple, Next, IBM & making them shiny again 📺✨

Blog Entries

Getting back on-topic for software specifically meant to run a business: I recall my father used a proto- presentation package called Overhead Express for laying out text, graphics, and images that could be printed directly onto clear acetate overheads. (He was in marketing at the time.)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

This would be more mid-80's I guess, but business-specific software for MS-DOS also included the MAI/BASIC Four packages, such as General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Inventory Control, Order Entry, Purchase Order Control, and Payroll. All of these packages would run under DOS 2.11.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com