Image Map Image Map

Thread: iMac G3 almost works

Default iMac G3 almost works

So I recently got ahold of a front-loading iMac G3, and to my surprise, it almost works. Every time I try to start it it gives me this screen:
    IMG_2059.jpg
    I haven't been able to find anything online about this specific error.

Address error could be a number of things, but it's usually related to bad RAM or more rarely, a physically broken address line somewhere on the board.

Try different memory modules and check the motherboard for leaking/bulging capacitors.

Blog Entries

Have you tried booting from any installation media? Could be something core system related is hosed really bad.

I don't have a copy of MacOS 8 to boot from, I got this computer out of a relative's garage.

Copies of Mac OS 8 can be downloaded from either the macintoshgarden.org or macintoshrepository.com under their Operating System tabs. From there you will need to burn a copy onto a CD (it must be a CD). There are guides online regarding how to burn a Mac CD on Windows and for Mac. This error usually has some issue regarding RAM (which may need to be reseated or replaced) or something deep within the operating system files (as echoed above). I hope you find the time to get this iMac up and running, they are starting to become a little bit more than just e-waste and more a collectable curiosity.

Mac OS 9 would be better anyway, if you're looking for install media (9.1 or 9.2.x).
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Mac OS 9 is only good if you have software which requires it, otherwise it's a bloated mess. 9.2.x isn't really supposed to be a standalone installation, it was made for machines running Mac OS X to run "Classic Mode"

I'd recommend Mac OS 8.6 for slower G3 machines if they support it.

Quote Originally Posted by SamE1 View Post
    So I recently got ahold of a front-loading iMac G3, and to my surprise, it almost works. Every time I try to start it it gives me this screen:
    IMG_2059.jpg
    I haven't been able to find anything online about this specific error.
    As others have mentioned the error may have something to do with bad RAM. You can try cleaning and reseating the RAM. I also recommend Mac OS 8 for it.

Have you tried to hold the shift key to disable extensions ?

Can be simply a bad file somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Mac OS 9 is only good if you have software which requires it, otherwise it's a bloated mess. 9.2.x isn't really supposed to be a standalone installation, it was made for machines running Mac OS X to run "Classic Mode"

I'd recommend Mac OS 8.6 for slower G3 machines if they support it.
    This is going to be de gustibus non disputandum, but in my experience 9.2 performs rather better than 9.1 on G3 hardware and was specifically optimized for it. It wasn't just "Classic fixes." If you're going to run OS 9 on a G3 and up, run 9.2.x.

8.6 is certainly smaller and on my older Power Macs I won't disagree with you, but I find there are many worthwhile improvements in 9, not least of which being OpenTransport and USB updates which were never available for 8.x. For an iMac I doubt any perceived performance improvements of going with the older OS are going to be worth it. I run OS 9 on all of my classic Power Macs except for my 2300 and the WGS 9150.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html