Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California fire

Blog Entries

Yep that flaming hillside looks not too far away. Clear the leaves out of your gutters and trim long grass, but I'm sure you get told that anyway. I just googled for what a ponderosa is, looks like a regular pine tree. I recall the name from Bonanza long ago.
    I've heard that California also has a lot of gum trees (eucalypts) we have a lot of them here wher they originated and they are pretty combustible. One summer I was out for a week camping in my WW2 army jeep and whilst driving along a backcountry track we went over a hill to find the hillside alight and flames just a few feet away from our wheels. Further along down the mountain we ran into the Fire Brigade guys and they ordered us to get off the tracks and back to the main road. The same trip a day or so later we could not get back to Sydney as the main highway was closed by the fires. We stopped at a McDonalds where they were starting to put people up for the night as a shelter until the police came along and told us to evacuate. We ended up camping overnight on a sports field, we were fine as we had been camping anyway but there were lots of people who had only been out for a day trip and had nothing with them apart from what they had in their cars.

Blog Entries

Funny thing about the California eucalyptus. Originally, they were introduced as a tree for timber, but then someone noticed that the grain was corkscrew, not straight. But the things propagate like cockroaches in California's climate (don't even ask about how well Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) does). Eucalytus is messy (leaf litter) and burns like a torch.

I just googled for what a ponderosa is, looks like a regular pine tree. I recall the name from Bonanza long ago.
    They get pretty large around here. I lived in the San Bernardino mountains as a kid, near Big Bear, and the ponderosa in our back yard was big enough that I had to climb the bark to get to the first branch, which was maybe 15-20ft from the ground, and my guess is it was over 100' tall. A quick search pulled up this nice picture of a large ponderosa near here. The video in this blog post is worth a watch, you get a good idea of the scale and size of these magnificent trees.

http://timeless-environments.blogspo...-its-most.html

Blog Entries

Yup, big trees--about the size of Doug firs--to 200'. Up here, we have east- and west-side varieties. Plant the wrong kind and the thing will curl up its toes and die after about 15 years. When green, the wood is very sappy and heavy--when dry it weighs very little. About 20 years ago, we planted about 4000 of the things and, to our suprise, most survived. The wood isn't as strong as Douglas-fir (not a fir at all), but if you've got a big clear log, it's great for window frames and such. They don't mind drought too much, and they'll probably be the survivors here.

Blog Entries

Is that a Chuck spotted in the wild? "Watch as the wild spotted Guzis uses natural camouflage to blend into the ponderosa."
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Nope, not me. That's Bill Schaupp, a USFS entomologist. I don't have a lot of photos of me. I used to be visible on a Google Streetview, before they edited me out. I used to get motorists stopping and saying "We saw you on Google".

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    This was the view from my driveway on the 8th

Attachment 47331

Yep, it's a 747 in the picture.
    Man, that is a hell of a photo. Sort of an Apocalypse now war of the worlds vibe.