Image Map Image Map

Thread: Compatibility of RL02/RL01 with Heathkit H11?

Question Compatibility of RL02/RL01 with Heathkit H11?

So I saw a video of someone connecting an RL02 to an H11, however I think it displayed an error code, however I was curious of the specifics of it. If I were to get an rlv11 and plug it in, what sort of modifications or parts would I have to get? (Jumpers, cables, etc.) Also, is there any way to transfer modern data (i.e. disk images off the internet) to the computer using some sort of hardware emulation?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Gfbtdhg1 View Post
    So I saw a video of someone connecting an RL02 to an H11, however I think it displayed an error code, however I was curious of the specifics of it. If I were to get an rlv11 and plug it in, what sort of modifications or parts would I have to get? (Jumpers, cables, etc.) Also, is there any way to transfer modern data (i.e. disk images off the internet) to the computer using some sort of hardware emulation?
    Thanks,
    An RLV11 is a two board set that requires a QBUS/CD type backplane. So it won't work and may damage the boards to insert it into an H11 which is QBUS/QBUS. An RLV12 id s single quad board and doesn't need the CD interconnect, would probably work in 16 bit mode. Check the power supply capacity and search for notes about minor signal differences on the H11 before proceeding.

Alternately there are TU58 emulators you can host off a PC that allow you to boot the H11 off a spare serial interface. These are bit slow are useable. Many people of use the SIMH PDP11 emulator to prepare and verify images prior to downloading them to vintage machines.

For some leads start with http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/i...p/t-24074.html
    Last edited by wa2flq; August 15th, 2018 at 10:29 AM.

An RLV11 in an AB/AB backplane WILL destroy the RLV11. Somewhere on alt.sys.pdp11 some years back I posted the unpleasant repair required to put things right after the horrible misdeed. You need an RLV12 for AB/AB.

And, of course there is hardware emulation of the RL drives, so you can indeed take a pack image off the internet and run it on real iron. See Reinhard's most excellent RL emulator, which he just added new features to recently and announced here in a post a few weeks back.

In my H-11, I have an RQDX3. It works fine : http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php...achmentid=2443 . The little box on top houses two RX33 drives and an MFM drive with the same geometry as RD31.

Lou

After a bit of searching, Ⅰ have finally found an RLV12. My question is what would Ⅰ have to do software and hardware wise to make it work in the system? I’m planning on using RT-11, and I’d like to boot off of the RL02 drive. I have an RX01 drive, and Ⅰ want to transfer the files from the disks to the drive. I may also use emulation to transfer files.

Quote Originally Posted by Gfbtdhg1 View Post
    After a bit of searching, Ⅰ have finally found an RLV12. My question is what would Ⅰ have to do software and hardware wise to make it work in the system? Im planning on using RT-11, and Id like to boot off of the RL02 drive. I have an RX01 drive, and Ⅰ want to transfer the files from the disks to the drive. I may also use emulation to transfer files.
    The RT11 distribution has device handler for RLV12 called DL.SYS that should work correctly with an RL02 for the single job monitor RT11SJ (16 bit addressing). Provide you already have it or can locate one that matches your OS version, it only takes a handful of commands initialize an RL02 pack, copy the requisite files and make the drive bootable.

Perhaps Lou can share some more background on how to lay out cards in an H11. I seem to recall the original CPU expected to be in slot 2.

Also check out http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/heath_h11.htm

Jerry

The RT-11 manual tells how to build a RL system pack so it can be done from a floppy. Just have to be certain that your RT-11 system disk has the DL.SYS and when your system boots from that disk it will load it. Use the assign command after loading RT-11 and it will show you what elements of your system is loaded and it will show up in the listing if your drive and controller is working.
    Don’t know how far you are from the eastern shore of Maryland but you can bring by a pack and I will set it up as a system drive with RT-11 and all its utilities.

Quote Originally Posted by wa2flq View Post
    Perhaps Lou can share some more background on how to lay out cards in an H11. I seem to recall the original CPU expected to be in slot 2.
    Jerry
    I believe Jerry is right. If you look at this photo in the album : http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php...achmentid=2422 , it looks like the processor (11/23) is in the right portion of slot 2. The card to the left of it is an MXV11-B2 and below that is an RQDX3. Notice also that the cards are upside-down. I left slot 1 completely empty. One only needs three dual-height cards for a complete 11/23 or 11/73 system. Currently I have an 11/73 in this enclosure.

Since the OP has mentioned emulators, I should also mention Don's most excellent arduino based RX02 emulator. It is very capable.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lou - N2MIY View Post
    I believe Jerry is right. If you look at this photo in the album : http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php...achmentid=2422 , it looks like the processor (11/23) is in the right portion of slot 2. The card to the left of it is an MXV11-B2 and below that is an RQDX3. Notice also that the cards are upside-down. I left slot 1 completely empty. One only needs three dual-height cards for a complete 11/23 or 11/73 system. Currently I have an 11/73 in this enclosure.

Since the OP has mentioned emulators, I should also mention Don's most excellent arduino based RX02 emulator. It is very capable.

Lou
    From other notes, I believe slot two was wired for the Srun indicator. But that's not the only thing different about this backplane. The sight of those upside down cards will give me nightmares for a number of days .

Thank you all,
    I have located a RLV12, but just waiting to A: get the system set up and working on its own and B: have the money on hand to buy a drive, cartridges, card, and RT-11 disks etc.