Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard is it to find replacement drive belts for cassette players?

I needed a 2.9 x .039 for an old SCSI CDROM drive. I bought one of the 65 square belt packs on Ebay that was said to be from 18mm to 110mm in size. There was nothing smaller than 30mm in the pack and a total waste of time and money. If you need a small belt look harder for the right size the 1st time. I was able to get the correct size for $5.00 including shipping from another dealer on Ebay.

I bought 1/2 doz of those drives years ago for pennies and gave all but one away. Now my last one which is being used in an old 5160 went south because of this belt. I found those dealers on Ebay asking huge money for an old SCSI CDROM.

framer

It looks like I need a 2.6 or 2.7 x.039. The 2.9 was just a bit too loose. At this point having been unable to secure the proper size belt and already spending $22 for rubber bands I'm putting fixing this drive on the shelve for now. I now have a 2nd CDROM drive going south as I checking out other in my collection. The 2nd one was an IDE and I have a replacement for it so no issues. Went to Fleabay last night and located a new sealed Sony SCSI from 1995ish era for $40.00 Hope that works for a few more years.

I will be keeping my eyes looking for other small square belts when I can fine them. I just think of all the old stuff that been thrown out with those parts inside.

framer

Blog Entries

Have contacted the guy at WJOE radio? He has a wealth of knowledge about these things and some of the best prices around. He supplied a complete belt replacement kit for my Nakamichis, complete with instructions and lubrication supplies.

Here's another source of belts: http://www.mainelectronics.com/belts.htm
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

A source in Germany:
    http://www.gummimeyer.de/

Under http://www.gummimeyer.de/18063.html is a calculation tool for the belt length (scroll down to the middle).

I would like to add that using round o-rings in place of square or rectangular cross-section belts is usually not a good idea. Round o-rings twist themselves up and break when used as a drive belt.

If you have a drive belt that's the right cross section, but it's too long, you might try cutting it with a razor blade and gluing the ends back together with superglue. It has to be done very carefully, but it can work.