Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 286 laptop, what's wrong with it?

Default 286 laptop, what's wrong with it?

I'm interested in a 286 laptop I have seen for sale. It is apparently a "Compaq SLT/286" (white in colour). The seller has described it as not working due to the problem below:

The computer is a Compaq SLT/286 Laptop. Im not sure if this works or not as i know nothing about it or laptops. When it starts up it goes through some kind of test and then says :

1790- disk o error

1620- system options not set- run setup insert diagnostic diskette in drive a

resume "f1" key

When i hit the f1 key a cursor flashes for a bit and then says non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key!

Im no genious but i could hazard a guess and say there is no operating system! It does not work when the battery is in place, I had to take the battery out to make it start.

It is kinda grubby, not too bad but someone has used felt tip pen to mark a few of the keys!

It comes with that power box thingy
    Any ideas what could be wrong with it? I have lots of versions of Windows (windows 286 would be cool on it!), does it seem like a matter of missing OS?

I don't really want to buy it and find it doesn't work... thanks

I've found a downloadable BIOS diskette if that's the problem.. from a german site..

http://www.hangman.de/-computer/-compaq/compaq.html

I'll bet someone wiped the hard disk. The other possibility is that the hard drive is dead. . .

A BIOS disk will probably be required to get the thing configured to at least boot. If the HD works, it'll be a fun toy!

Erik

oh, great news! Thanks Erik! So the worst case scenario is that I would need a new HDD.. hmm.. I'll keep you all posted

The best case scenario is that the guy has a non-bootable disk in the floppy drive and it's trying to boot off of that. . .

Erik

As much as I would like that to be true...!

If the HDD is dead.. what kind of replacement can I use? Standard 2.5" drive, or some strange type you can't get anymore...

I have a 486 laptop that burnt out, I think it's 700mb or so... would that drive work?

From that era it may be an odd sized drive. You might get lucky and find a replacement for it easily, but you also might not.

Are you paying for the machine or just to ship it?

If it's going to cost anything do a Google search first to see what information you can find.

Good luck!

Erik

Default Re: 286 laptop, what's wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by dongfeng
    I'm interested in a 286 laptop I have seen for sale. It is apparently a "Compaq SLT/286" (white in colour).
    Compaq computers are unique. They, at least those I have seen and owned, have a diagnostics partition which contains BIOS-type stuff. It is possible to find a "softpack" for each model which creates the appropriate bootable diagnostics disk. When powered on, there will be a block cursor in the upper-right corner of the screen during the search for the Diagnostics partition. You can press F10 (I think that's the right key) to do "BIOS-type" stuff such as configure drives, set RTC, and also diagnose the hardware.

Before you buy it, you might want to read up on the details and see if what I've typed is even accurate.

If you're not too far away, I'd have a Conner CP2044PK 2.5" drive lying around.

Blog Entries

The SLT uses a 3.5" form factor, but I don't remember if there's anything wierd about it. Could be proprietary with Compaq tho.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.