Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best program for imaging old disks

Blog Entries

The Central Point Deluxe Option board was the way to go to dump copy protected disks which is why I have one. I mostly used WinImage a long time ago for non protected disks.

Most of what people want to back up has been dumped and cracked a long time ago.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

The catweasel did a pretty good job, but quite frankly, any modern MCU can do the same job for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The Central Point Deluxe Option board was the way to go to dump copy protected disks which is why I have one. I mostly used WinImage a long time ago for non protected disks.

Most of what people want to back up has been dumped and cracked a long time ago.
    That board looks like exactly what I need, I'll keep my eye out for one. I definitely still want to back these disks up since hey're all version 1.00, plus I'm sure I'll get more to back up in the future.

Have you tried or looked into either Copy II PC or CopyWrite (Quaid Software)? These are two very good programs from the 1980s for making copies of copy protected programs.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Be aware you need vintage hardware to run the CP DOB.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Be aware you need vintage hardware to run the CP DOB.
    Yeah, it should work in my Aptiva. Or my 386 machine if the Aptiva doesn't like it.

I have been in the process of taking my diskette based software and copying the data from the disks to a hard drive (using a simple DOS XCOPY command) and then eventually writing out to a CD. While not an exact image of the disk, for most software it is good enough to recreate the original disks should the need arise. Of course if there is some kind of disk based copy protection then this method would not be valid.

I want to look into some of the utilities mentioned above so I can create exact disk images which I can then store on HDs and CDs.

One question has been bothering me...how do I make copies of game disks which are booters and therefore cannot be read by DOS?

Thanks...Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcheapskate View Post
    I want to look into some of the utilities mentioned above so I can create exact disk images which I can then store on HDs and CDs.

One question has been bothering me...how do I make copies of game disks which are booters and therefore cannot be read by DOS?
    Teledisk should do the job for you.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen