Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hi from Sydney, Australia.

Default Hi from Sydney, Australia.

Hi,
    I have been interested in old computers for many years, my "collection" increased a lot when I was asked to help store many pallet loads of old Apple and Macintosh computers.
    Most of them were sold over many years, to allow me to move into a retirement village.
    Some of the people who bought them were members of the Apple IIoz mailing list http://www.appleiioz.com/appleiioz/A...ling_List.html
    The members of this list hold meetings in Sydney and other locations along the lines of KansasFest, I have been attending these for a few years now,
    and have an Apple IIc and an Apple IIgs.
    I also have some old Macs and recently purchased two hitachi MB6890 machines (peach.au2.com).
    Recently I rejoined the Australian Computer Museum Society and have helped rescue a few car loads of small items before their Villawood storage unit was demolished.
    Thanks,
    Murray.

Blog Entries

Welcome from the other side of the planet.
    Rick Ethridge

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayI View Post

Recently I rejoined the Australian Computer Museum Society and have helped rescue a few car loads of small items before their Villawood storage unit was demolished.

Murray.
    Greetings!

I am also a new member from Sydney. My collection consists of mainly Commodore machines (which I grew up on). C16, Plus/4, C116, Amiga, but also a Microbee, a couple of SunRays, and a newly acquired XT.

Whilst I heard of the plight of the Australian Computer Museum, I havenít heard how much of the collection was able to be salvaged. Did all of it manage to survive landfill?

Steven.

My wife says hi right back, when she's on that side of the globe. We'll be down under enjoying a summer Christmas this year.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    My wife says hi right back, when she's on that side of the globe. We'll be down under enjoying a summer Christmas this year.
    If your likely to come to Melbourne maybe we can catch up

No, we're on the other side of the Blue Mountains usually. But I'll keep that in mind if we get down that way at some point.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by austfox View Post
    Greetings!

I am also a new member from Sydney. My collection consists of mainly Commodore machines (which I grew up on). C16, Plus/4, C116, Amiga, but also a Microbee, a couple of SunRays, and a newly acquired XT.

Whilst I heard of the plight of the Australian Computer Museum, I haven’t heard how much of the collection was able to be salvaged. Did all of it manage to survive landfill?

Steven.
    The bulk of the collection went into a pair of shipping containers. A few key items were moved "elsewhere" and various people grabbed assorted bits, which helped ensure the containers didn't overflow. Talking to them in the last week as they cleared stuff, they hope to have a new, permanent site within 2 years.

PJH

Quote Originally Posted by pjhacnau View Post
    they hope to have a new, permanent site within 2 years.

PJH
    I fear that might be the problem, because I think Villawood was only meant to be a short term solution until they found a permanent site, and yet I believe ithey were there for years.