Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tektronix 4662 A3 Plotter. Need Schematic or Service Manual please

Blog Entries

Question Tektronix 4662 A3 Plotter. Need Schematic or Service Manual please

Hi All,

Well by chance 4 months back I saved a Tektronix 4662 single pen Plotter from the eWaste.

Since it failed to work back then on the application of power, I toyed with repurposing it to make a small smd pick and place machine.

Thought about it again yesterday, since during my declutteruing, I ended up with a FULLY CLEANED and EMPTY work bench to put it on.

On sms'ing Maria of this fact, she came straight down to my workshop as she felt I must be quite ill, and was halucinating that my bench was CLEAR.

She was annoyed she didn't bring a camera to capture this ONCE in a lifetime event as she put it.

Anyways back to the 4662 story.

I opened it up and WOOOOOOOW ! Its DEFINALTY A KEEPER AS IS !!

A gold 6800 and numerous other ceramic grey traces 40pin IC's greeted my eyes.

The normal series of short tests I typically do followed, with no joy, so I looked online for a service manual.

No luck initially. Only operator and programmer manuals on bitsaver.

So does anyone have or know of cct diagram or service manual online as pdf ?

Tek Service manual should be 070-1933-00

Later today I will take some pics of the 4662 insides and post here.

plus as a treat to those that have followed my 'dealing with clutter' posts, I will share a photo of my ''clean" workbench.

Edited this post to add here that "Clean" workbench pic

Last edited by inotarobot; August 22nd, 2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: added my 'Clean" workbench pic

inotarobot,

Congratulations! I also have a 4662, but haven't tried to power it up after having last used it 15 years ago to digitize the Viper for my Tektronix 4051 program for Battlestar Galactica Colonial Vipers

How about this EBAY auction for a scanned 4662 service manual?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-S...-/391766897686

I highly recommend getting the scanned manual.

I just checked my Tektronix manual collection and I have the 4662 original service manual. It is way too many pages for me to scan, but I'll scan the Troubleshooting section and post it here.

Here is part of Section 3 with some troubleshooting info (starts on page 3-10):
    Tek 4662 Service Manual - Partial Section 3

Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; August 21st, 2018 at 06:49 PM.

Blog Entries

A few pics of the inside of this Plotter.

The processor is 6800 and the grey trace white ceramic chips are AMI S6820

There are more pics at https://imgur.com/a/x4gDcTu and I will add to this album as I take more in future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    inotarobot,

Congratulations! I also have a 4662, but haven't tried to power it up after having last used it 15 years ago to digitize the Viper for my Tektronix 4051 program for Battlestar Galactica Colonial Vipers

I highly recommend getting the scanned manual.

I just checked my Tektronix manual collection and I have the 4662 original service manual. It is way too many pages for me to scan, but I'll scan the Troubleshooting section and post it here.

Here is part of Section 3 with some troubleshooting info (starts on page 3-10):
    Tek 4662 Service Manual - Partial Section 3

Monty
    Monty thank you for you message and the help in posting the part of manual.

Your comment on the eBay disk item reminded me I did have some DVD's of Tek manuals I bought years back of an eBay seller. Wheter they have this plotter I cannot recall so I will dig them out and look. If not I will very likely buy that disk.

Blog Entries

Short update.

Firstly the unit powers up and shows front panel lights but does nothing in local mode.

Quick check on the 5v rail gave a value of 4.3vdc

The psu has a trim pot and I slowely adjusted it till I got 5.0vdc on my fluke.

Shut down reconnected PSU to the main PCB and back on and still no joy. At least the 5v rail held 5.0vdc

Removed and reseated all plugin ics.

Repowered on again no joy. No activity in local mode.

I noted quite a bit of corrosion on numerous IC pins and some questionable PCB tracks. So, for now, I will just do a basic clean, then have a very quick check to around with my scope and logic probe to see if the 6800 processor is running.

Then most likely put it to the side till I get a manual or circuit diagram

Quote Originally Posted by inotarobot View Post
    Short update.

Firstly the unit powers up and shows front panel lights but does nothing in local mode.

Quick check on the 5v rail gave a value of 4.3vdc

The psu has a trim pot and I slowely adjusted it till I got 5.0vdc on my fluke.

Shut down reconnected PSU to the main PCB and back on and still no joy. At least the 5v rail held 5.0vdc

Removed and reseated all plugin ics.

Repowered on again no joy. No activity in local mode.

I noted quite a bit of corrosion on numerous IC pins and some questionable PCB tracks. So, for now, I will just do a basic clean, then have a very quick check to around with my scope and logic probe to see if the 6800 processor is running.

Then most likely put it to the side till I get a manual or circuit diagram

Ok - lets start with power supply schematics and power circuit descriptions:
    4662 Section 4 power description and power schematics

Monty

Blog Entries

Hi Monty,

thanks so much for this psu info.

I printed a few pages out, and highlighted the power Supply board outputs, the fuses and the test points.

Then looked at plotter. Decided to remove PSU board to make it easier to clean and test.

Found 2 of the 4 fuses had blown, being F351 the 1.5A for 28vdc and F551 the 0.25A for the -12v.

Used a very fine strand wire around the glass body of F551, and then connected 240Vac

PSU came up unloaded with some regulated voltages way to high

+28v dc
    +5v at 6.11
    -5v at -8.21
    +12 at 13.02
    -12 at -13.04

and the internal +14 at +14.02v

so getting tired and have decided to put it aside till Sunday as the next 2 days already have commitments.

thanks again.

Any luck on getting your 4662 plotter working?

I started a new vcfed.org thread on getting mine working with GPIB to my 4054A, and plotting "Snoopy - Red Baron" with an old plotter pen, and new ones with my design for adapting Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens and Staedtler HP Plotter pens!
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...414#post594414

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    That's not a bad price. For particularly hard to find Tektronix manuals, I've had good experiences with the Vintage Tektronix museum. I've had them scan some Tektronix terminal manuals for me. They scanned them at a reasonable cost (they pay staff to do the scanning). Once they have the scan done, they generally make the manual publicly available.

legalize,

I had them scan their microfiche of the Tektronix 4052 Assembler Program documentation.

I just checked the spreadsheet inventory I did of Bob Rosenbloom's Tektronix documentation donation to Living Computers Museum in Seattle. They have the hard copy of the 4662 plotter service manual version 070-1933-01 which includes the Option 31 multiple pen carousel. I just emailed them and asked if they could scan that manual - then I can post it.

My Option 31 worked once last week, then apparently broke a plastic gear. If LCM sends me the scan, it may have information on disassembly of that mechanism, and I'll try to fix it.