Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sparcstation 2 Setup Questions

Sorry to join this late.

I have been having a lot of problems with my CD-ROM drives that work with old SPARC systems (a 1+ prototype, an IPC, and a Solbourne S4100). Both the 1+ prototype and the Solbourne were in an unknown state and then there was what ended up being two bad used SCSI cables that I bought, so I also had the problem of figuring out whether the failure to install was related to broken CD-ROM drives, broken systems or broken cables (oh, and bad terminators). Luckily, I had one system where everything worked, so I could substitute things and figure out what was broken.

I am down to one CD-ROM drive that works on those old systems. This is a third-party drive that I installed in a 411 case so long ago that I don't recall its model.

I had a Sun tray-load CD-ROM drive than suddenly stopped working (stopped responding to probe-scsi) earlier this year.

I also bought one of the Sun compatible Toshibas (5301?) from someone on eBay. He claimed that it was fully tested, but, while it would appear in probe-scsi, I have not yet been able to get it to boot a SunOS CD.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    I also bought one of the Sun compatible Toshibas (5301?) from someone on eBay. He claimed that it was fully tested, but, while it would appear in probe-scsi, I have not yet been able to get it to boot a SunOS CD.
    Assuming you set the block size jumper on the back to 512KB...
    IBM 5170/5053, 2 x 5150/5051
    Sun IPC, Ultra1 and SPARCclassic with tape, disk and CD
    HP Apollo 9000/735
    Silicon Graphics Indy, O2
    Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100
    Apple Mac Plus, DEC 5000/25

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Assuming you set the block size jumper on the back to 512KB...
    Yeah.

In addition to the problem booting from it, the eject button doesn't work.

I bought the extra CD-ROM so that I wouldn't have to borrow the drive from the Classic that I have set up in my office when I was trying to install OSes on the 1+ and the Solbourne. When the new (to me) CD-ROM showed up and didn't work, I set it aside until and pulled the working drive from my Classic stack. I still haven't had time to figure out what's up with the CD-ROM.

alan

P.S. I will be doing another Sun/SPARC exhibit at the VCF PNW next year. This time it will be "Attack of the SPARC Clones". I needed to confirm that I could get the Solbourne OS installed. I also have an Axil 320, a SS20 with hyperSPARC MBus modules (the most useable CDE system that I have ever used, definitely better than anything that I used at Sun working on Solaris in the 90s), and an IPX with a Weitek SPARC POWER uP. Someone is supposed to be loaning me a Tadpole SPARCbook (unless I can find one to buy to add to my collection).