Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB or ANY info wanted: Panasonic CF-480 laptop

Default WTB or ANY info wanted: Panasonic CF-480 laptop

So, this'll make me seem a little eccentric, so here's the backstory: my first computer was a GRiD 1660. Not a very good computer really, but it was my first computer and now I'm nostalgic about it. After a while I noted there were other computers that were really the same basic computer - first a Tandy, which I thought not strange at all considering Tandy owned GRiD at the time, but then I found DECpc and Siemens-Nixdorf models, and someone pointed out the basic model was manufactured by Matsushita, which is also Panasonic. So I learned a basic Panasonic version of the laptop existed and finally found a clue showing the model I'm looking for is a CF-480. I searched Google the best I could, and Google books, but I could only come up with this picture:

So now that I know it exists, I want to add one to my collection, which if this is the base model, is going to be my "CF-480 variant collection" rather than my "GRiD 1660 variant collection".

What market was it sold in? about how many were sold, or in other words was it very uncommon? is the keyboard japanese? did it have a color model? was the CPU a 386sx or sl? are there any pictures of it? is anyone willing to part with their's?

Yep, that's the base model. Good high-res shot. Those are rare. Give me a little bit, and I should be able to get you a basic spec sheet, as well as another variant you can look for, as I am almost certain this has a Tandy relative as well.

Dude I found something, we're super lucky, I just started wading through results for "Panasonic 386sl" and found it on a ukraine site or something: http://retro-pc.ucoz.ru/index/cf_480c/0-353

I found out the CF-480 is also known as the Tandy 3830 SL, there is also a SL/C variant with a color LCD. Yep, its a 80386SL as you thought, 25 Mhz. Maximum of 8 MB of RAM. It apparently uses some kind of proprietary 50 pin RAM module I've never heard of before.

Thanks for the help! So there's the Panasonic, Tandy, and GRiD. If memory serves Ast bought Tandy, so I wonder if there is an Ast version, haha. So it was sold in an eastern european market, and the color model has a C appended to it.
    Here are a couple copied pics of the CF-480 in case that site goes away, and since they were so tough to find:

Here's a collage of all five of this model of laptop I'm interested in:
    Last edited by Caleb Hansberry; August 23rd, 2018 at 08:24 PM.

They are asking way, way too much for it, but here is a functional GRiD 1660 on E-Bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grid-1660-R...e/113288323438

Yeah, that one has actually been listed for years, but it took a break for a few months - I think the seller might have changed, but it's the same laptop.

Yeah its hilariously overpriced. I made an offer once, I think it was like $200 which is very generous, but he declined. Unless it's been recapped already, it's going to fail soon, even if someone were to pay $600.

Agreed

http://www.sandyflat.net/digerati/as...grid/index.htm remarkable amount of relevant files

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323668737793 I'll have to pass on this one, but here is a rare example of a Panasonic laptop later than their beige models but older than their toughbooks: